Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L coming out of battery

CPW1265

I shoot a M&P 9L with a 13 lb ISMI non captured recoil spring using Freedom Munitions 115gr 129 power factor. I've been having a problem recently. When I reload with a round in the chamber during a match the slide is out of battery. I know there are many different things that can be the cause but has anyone else had this problem?

I would guess that 13 pound spring has weakened over time. Try a new spring.

Or get more froggy and also lighten the striker spring. Those two springs work against each other.

What Sarge said...

The recoil spring has to overcome the force of the striker spring. As the recoil spring force decreases (by replacing with a lighter one or from wear) the striker spring force can more easily overcome it and push the slide out of battery.

This happened at my last match. Would do a reload with one in the chamber and the slide was slightly out of battery and ended up getting a light strike. I will be popping in a new recoil spring.

I recently changed to the 4# Wolf striker springs, and it made a difference in the battery issue. However, I ran a batch of ammo with hard primers, and had about a 1/10 failed ignitions. Be sure to test your ammo before a match.

Replaced my old recoil guide rod and spring with a new factory one from S&W. No light strikes at the match on sunday and the strength of the spring is noticeably stronger which keeps the slide really locked in battery.