Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to pick for concealed carry?

2o2ll

Couldn't find an Open carry or conceal section so i figured this would do. Ok i'm currently trying to decide on what firearm i should get for my EDC (everyday carry) and i will be doing concealed carry only. It must be double stack 1911 style (2011) and i'm trying to stay under $2,500.

I really really want it to be 38 supercomp or 38 super and i'll convert to SC if needed. May consider 9 major or even 45acp (NO 40). 4inches would be great but not mandatory cause I used to conceal carry my Les Baer Ultimate tactical carry 5" for 2+ years and discomfort was never an issue.

So far i'm looking at the STI VIP / STI TACTICAL 4 or 5 I also would love to give the Wilson Combat KZ45 full size of compact version but they're discontinued and i've had 0 success in finding one so far. Oh yeah, i wanted 38sc due to the fact that i'll be competing with that caliber so I think i'll be most comfortable with that caliber as well as consolidating to only 38SC caliber for all my pistols which would be great! Which would you guys go with and why? Thanks so much everyone, have a great evening!

Luan Tran

Edited by 2o2ll

You can pick almost any off the shelf hi cap 19/2011 for that price. A para P14 is small, a little lighter, powerful and leaves a little money for upgrades. My only question is, do you want to carry something that will end up in a police evidence locker for up to a year if you have to use it? I'm no one, but I carry a glock (fit in any Tupperware gun) because it is light, holds plenty of rounds, is easy to use and I can go buy another one tomorrow. Try wearing a full size 1911 around for a few days before you spend 2Gs on a carry gun. If you buy a 9mm you could always use it for 3 gun.

You can pick almost any off the shelf hi cap 19/2011 for that price. A para P14 is small, a little lighter, powerful and leaves a little money for upgrades. My only question is, do you want to carry something that will end up in a police evidence locker for up to a year if you have to use it? I'm no one, but I carry a glock (fit in any Tupperware gun) because it is light, holds plenty of rounds, is easy to use and I can go buy another one tomorrow. Try wearing a full size 1911 around for a few days before you spend 2Gs on a carry gun. If you buy a 9mm you could always use it for 3 gun.

yeah i carried my full size Les Baer 1911 for a couple years. You brought up a good point on the possibility of having my firearm held for a year + but then again i'll take that risk for something i'd have 1000% confidence carrying knowing that i'll be capable to take a higher percentage of what may be necessary shots.

If your gun spends a year in an evidence locker somewhere, you'll probably never be able to own a gun again and/or you will probably go bankrupt paying legal fees, so I highly doubt you'll care if you had a $2k gun or a $500 one since it will either be sold by your creditors or contraband.*

Back to the issue at hand, I would not recommend a 1911 in 9mm or .40 for self defense because the longer action of the 1911 isn't well-suited to these shorter cartridges, except the Springfield EMP, which is what I choose to carry.

While I wouldn't talk you out of a double stack 1911 carry gun, and a 38 Super/double stack 2011 style gun is actually a fine choice for carry, if you don't have a slim, small, lightweight, single stack or revolver gun for carry yet, I would recommend getting something that is more comfortable and easy to carry before diving into a gun that you will only want to carry when you can conceal it effectively, unless your wardrobe is such that you can always conceal a big/thick gun.

*Iowa actually is the only state I know of with an unlimited firearm exemption for a shotgun and a rifle or musket, so if you're an Iowan, and somehow you get acquitted and file bankruptcy, you might actually see your gun again! Unless it's a handgun of course.

Edited by twodownzero

If your gun spends a year in an evidence locker somewhere, you'll probably never be able to own a gun again and/or you will probably go bankrupt paying legal fees, so I highly doubt you'll care if you had a $2k gun or a $500 one since it will either be sold by your creditors or contraband.*

Back to the issue at hand, I would not recommend a 1911 in 9mm or .40 for self defense because the longer action of the 1911 isn't well-suited to these shorter cartridges, except the Springfield EMP, which is what I choose to carry.

While I wouldn't talk you out of a double stack 1911 carry gun, and a 38 Super/double stack 2011 style gun is actually a fine choice for carry, if you don't have a slim, small, lightweight, single stack or revolver gun for carry yet, I would recommend getting something that is more comfortable and easy to carry before diving into a gun that you will only want to carry when you can conceal it effectively, unless your wardrobe is such that you can always conceal a big/thick gun.

*Iowa actually is the only state I know of with an unlimited firearm exemption for a shotgun and a rifle or musket, so if you're an Iowan, and somehow you get acquitted and file bankruptcy, you might actually see your gun again! Unless it's a handgun of course.

ah yes, i shot the emp 9mm a few years back and absolutely love it!

STI VIP, its available in 9mm .40 and .45ACP. If I understand correctly it has a slightly shorter grip (takes a 120mm mag instead of a 126mm) but does come in an aluminum frame that when combined with the poly grips that all STI 2011s have you can have a 10 shot 2011 in .45ACP that weights under 30oz unloaded (26oz going by the STI website).

Personally its one I have been lusting after for a bit myself.

STI VIP, its available in 9mm .40 and .45ACP. If I understand correctly it has a slightly shorter grip (takes a 120mm mag instead of a 126mm) but does come in an aluminum frame that when combined with the poly grips that all STI 2011s have you can have a 10 shot 2011 in .45ACP that weights under 30oz unloaded (26oz going by the STI website).

yeah i do like the VIP alot too! just wish they offered 38 super so i can do minor changes to make it 38SC

yeah i do like the VIP alot too! just wish they offered 38 super so i can do minor changes to make it 38SC

Then get a 9mm VIP and swap the barrel out.

Here's my EDC Tac 4.15. (w/o light)

No issues running it as a 9mm.

I have new holsters being made to carry it with the APL light

i-FJwkGrv-M.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Just the grip.

The VIP grip is a full size that is cut down and had the MSH pin hole redrilled

ohh ok got ya, any idea on what 4" 38sc barrels will run me?

Not sure, but a new VIP, is about $1400 (Tac 4.0 is ~$1800), barrels are anywhere from $150-$275, depending on brand and figure $150-$200 to get the barrel fit.

You might be able to get the 9mm reamed to run 38S, but you'd have to check on that.

Edited by Quack

Not sure, but a new VIP, is about $1400, barrels are anywhere from $150-$275, depending on brand and figure $150-$200 to get the barrel fit.

You might be able to get the 9mm reamed to run 38S, but you'd have to check on that.

Will be the VIP be capable of 9 major without modifications?

Should be able to. BTW, the VIP come in both steel and alloy.

One friend ran one for a while in 45 and another should be getting his from his FFL this week.

Should be able to. BTW, the VIP come in both steel and alloy.

One friend ran one for a while in 45 and another should be getting his from his FFL this week.

which do you prefer? steel or alloy?

They both had steel, I don't think the weight difference is that much on the VIP. IIRC, its 4oz (30oz vs 26oz)

Edited by Quack

They both had steel, I don't think the weight difference is that much on the VIP. IIRC, its 4oz (30oz vs 26oz)

yeah i carried my full size les baer 1911 for years, size and weight won't be an issue at all. 45 is just too expensive to shoot these days. I might go with 9mm

is the $1400 what a light weight VIP costs? I've been leaning towards a CCO for the same thing, but wouldn't mind a double stack. I had a full custom 4"tactical with the rail cut down that I liked a ton, but sold for a pretty penny for my move. worth it, but it was fancy as heck! also 14 rounds of 45 is almost a damn pound, so it adds up in weight pretty quick

man, just got back from the gunshow and one vender had the most wilson combats / ed browns / nighthawks i've seen altogether in my lifetime. They also had an STI Tactical 4.0 and my heart was pounding!!! till i seen SS haha