Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 POI Problem and Solution

cohland

My new G34 came out of the box with a serious POI error, shooting to the right. I solved the problem with this particular pistol by changing to a tight-fitting Locking Block.

This pretty much covers it.

So which locking block do i want. Where do i order it from and how do i know it will be the right one, as far as being the tight fitting one? I don't want to order 10 of them just to get 1 tight fitting one. I do have a Glock 17 that has issues...

I was able to get un-marked Locking Blocks from Glockmeister, I just ordered the regular G1447 Part for my G34. I also ordered P/N 1447 from Glock and got un-marked Locking Blocks.

Chris

FYI, the #1, 2 etc on parts only refers to the mold in which that part was made. The part number has been added to some Glock locking blocks (ie 1447, 30756, etc..). Regarding the slide lock and accuracy. Yes it's a very important part when it comes to accuracy. The lock grips the barrel, so installing it backwards the barrel isn't held in place properly. Not only will that affect accuracy the slide may come off the gun while firing.

I have the Gen 4 G34 but with the opposite problem. Even after bench resting and sighting in at 15 yard it actually shoots about 1-2" left of center when it came from the factory. All sights were zeroed visually and even after 'squared' shot well left. I don't have this problem with my other guns and my brother owns the G17 version which I shoot fine.

I've since then drifted my new Dawson P sights to the right and have corrected it for now. I will definitely be looking up a new locking block, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So a locking block being out of spec made the gun shoot to off one direction only? Weird.

Why more people don't just get adjustable sights and zero their pistols, I'll never understand.

Like any other firearm, just because your sights "look aligned" don't mean they're pointing where your bore is pointing at your desired zero distance.

How many people do you know that have to use a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards because their glock "shoots a bit high"?

My new G34 came out of the box with a serious POI error, shooting to the right. I solved the problem with this particular pistol by changing to a tight-fitting Locking Block.

This pretty much covers it.

So which locking block do i want. Where do i order it from and how do i know it will be the right one, as far as being the tight fitting one? I don't want to order 10 of them just to get 1 tight fitting one. I do have a Glock 17 that has issues...

Well, if you live anywhere near me (Portland, Oregon), send me a PM.

My solution was to buy a half dozen Locking Blocks, split between Glock and Glockmeister, so that I could try them in my Glocks and find the ones that fit tight(er). Not a very good alternative, but since I'm an Armorer at least I got some from Glock at a lower-than-retail cost.

Since then I've learned that 9mm locking blocks are marked at least five different ways, and I've been told that the marking is just the mold number. So, Glock may be producing them all at the same time, about the only way to find out is to dig into their manufacturing processes. I don't hold out much hope there.

Measuring three unmarked Locking Blocks in just two dimensions (height and width) I have found variations of .002" in both dimensions, not too bad. Hmmm. This got me thinking again, and I think I have a couple of useful conclusions:

1) Fit of the Locking Block is a factor in the accuracy of the pistol: tighter fit is better.

2) Neither the Locking Block nor the Frame is manufactured to extremely tight tolerances. The "Stacking" of tolerances produces tight or loose fit of the Locking Block in a particular gun.

3) Fixing the problem for an individual gun will require testing a number of Locking Blocks for fit in that gun.

One thing I would suggest is to tighten up the fit of your locking block with nail polish, but I can't tell you exactly where to apply it, you will need to experiment. This isn't a great solution, because the nail polish will wear and you'll need to refresh it from time to time.

Another thing to try would be to take the gun to a GSSF match, see if you can find an Armorer who is not frantically busy, and ask him or her to work with you to find a Locking Block that will fit your frame snugly. If you don't ask, the answer is "no".

Chris

• 2 months later...