Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Questions

Saleen43

I want to figure out which competition is right for me. I have a few questions before I start to make my decision. I'll ask them in sections by type of competition.

IDPA

I've heard of IDPA and have seen a shoot but am not really sure about how it works or what the differences between IDPA and IPSC are.

First, What modifications, if any, am I allowed to add to my gun?

How does the competition work?

What are the differences between IDPA and IPSC competitions? Just rules?

IPSC

I've read all the rules and everything like that but still need a TINY bit of clarification.

First, in the Limited and Limited 10 class what can I add to my gun? any sights, grips, anything like that

And, Am I correct in my interpretation of the competition (never having seen a competition before)? Do you simply take your pistol from your holster and shoot as accurately as you can with a certain number of rounds?

3 Gun

Alright, I've heard of 3-gun and read about it but have never seen it. What exactly is it about? How does the competition work?

Are modern or classic firearms used?

Thanks for all the help and sorry about the stupid questions. All of you have been a great help! I'm new to shooting competitions (specifically pistols) and just want to learn more and choose a competition that is right for me.

-Mike

If you have not been to a match, take your stock pistol and head out to a local competition. Be safe and they will be nice to you. Chat with the shooters and they will really educate you.

Here is a short version: IDPA: SSP,CDP,and SSR mainly means that any stock gun with a trigger-job and aftermarket sights is O.K.

ESP division allows a few more modifications.

IPSC: L-10 is mainly for singlestack 1911s, but I think you can download to ten rounds with other pistols.

Limited is where you see all of the full dust cover SVI (doublestack) pistols. Most everybody shoots .40 cal. in this division. No comps allowed.

I can't help you with 3-gun. Don't wait if you can make it to a match soon. Shoot a little of both sports (IPSC&IDPA) before you buy a lot of stuff.

I've only seen "pin shoots" at the local range where they line up bowling pins and shoot them as fast as possible. As of now I don't even have a pistol. I have 2 shotguns and a rifle I use for hunting. I'm trying to decide on a pistol to buy which I why I'm asking these questions.

-Mike

It is always good to start with a .22 rimfire, but you don't have to. Try to shoot a few different pistols that friends or club members have. If you could find a 1911 and a Glock 17or,22,34,35 that would at least let you feel two of the most common ones out there.

It really depends on how much money you can blow. If you are on a budget like me, you should "try before you buy".

If you are serious, and this may sound crazy, go to a match with no gun. Just show up and say "I want to learn about this sport. May I watch and help paste targets?" I'll bet by the end of the day people will let you try their pistols. Don't forget eye and ear protection.

Saleen43,

Where in Mich? I am in Dearborn Hights. I shoot IPSC and some IDPA, and I have a pretty good array of pistols that fit in both diciplines. I would be more than happy to take you to the range and figure out what you like, as well as direct you to some IDPA practice and matchers for both IDPA and IPSC.

There are lots of opinions on what people like better, IDPA or IPSC. Try both of them and decide for yourself.

Simply put, IDPA is defensive style shooting at close targets with usually a maximum of 18 rounds per stage, all shot from positions that are specified.

IPSC will shoot ususlly 16-35 rounds per stage, sometimes up to 40 yards, moving targets, and you get to decide how best to shoot the stage.

Send me a PM or an email if you are close to SE Mich and I will hook you up.

Cameron

Looks like the closest Action match is at Berrien Springs which is on the west side of the state. I talked to the guy a few weeks ago and he seems very interested in getting a first class Action program set up. My understading is that NRA went to look at the range because they wanted to host Bianchi. The guys name is Martin Prillwitz at 404-461-9978 or he has someone working with him by the name of Bruce. Email is bruce@flagelmorgan.com.

I would stick with the 1911 and not mess with a Beretta. The Beretta would be okay for IDPA but there would be a disadvantage in the other sports. Para is supposed to be coming out with a high cap 9 in LDA. They should be out in Jan. It's listed on their web site but when I tried to find one they said Jan. I'm not sure if it's available in single action but I would assume that it is.

Kevin

Here is a short version: IDPA: SSP,CDP,and SSR mainly means that any stock gun with a trigger-job and aftermarket sights is O.K.

ESP division allows a few more modifications.

Actually, the rules on allowable modifications in CDP and ESP are identical. The only difference is allowable weight, 41 ounces in CDP, 43 in ESP.

There are, when you get right down to it, two "styles" of division in IDPA. Stock Service Pistol (SSP) and Stock Service Revolver (SSR) are for basically stock guns where you're limited to new sights, a trigger job, and not much else. Then we have Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP) and Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) which are venues for "art guns," where we can use customs 1911s with all the things we love doing to custom 1911s.

SSP is for DA, DAO or Safe Action (read: Glock) trigger actions only. No single action guns allowed.

SSR is for revolvers with barrels of not more than 4".

CDP is for any gun chambered for .45 ACP. Most people in this division shoot 1911 .45s though other guns are permissible.

ESP is for single action autos in calibers other than .45 ACP. Strangely enough, you can also shoot Glocks in this division though they're not technically single action guns.

There is a power factor floor of 165,000 to fire a gun in CDP. In all other divisions it's 125,000. (IDPA power factor arrived at by taking the bullet weight in grains and multiplying by its velocity in feet per second).

Hope that helped. For more complete info, got to www.idpa.com and click on the link for the IDPA Rule Book.

3 gun is combined scores for a rifle, shotgun, and pistol. Typically the rifle would be an AR, the shotgun a semi auto, and the pistol about anything with 2011s probably being most popular.

3 gun matches are usually divided into seperate groups the most popular would be

limited - iron sights on everything

tactical - 1 optic on the rifle, no optics on shotgun or pistol

open - optics ok on everything, open class pistols, multiple shells can be loaded into the shotgun at once

Also He-man is popular with He-man it's a .308 rifle, pump shotgun, and single stack .45.