Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Narrowing down powders

JeffJ99

I recently came into a bunch of reloading supplies (uncle passed away) and I'm trying to decide what to do with it all. I've been loading pistol for years but haven't done any rifle reloading. I plan on setting up to reload .223, 7mm-08, 6.5G, and maybe .270. My uncle was a bit of a tinkerer and possibly a compulsive buyer in his later years so I have a bunch of different powders. Given the current situation, I would like to consolidate to a few powders that will be good for loading those rounds and find a good home for the rest.

If you had to pick 2 or 3 of the following to load .223, 7mm-08, and 6.5G which would you choose?

V.V.

N140

N133

N540

N160

N150

N135

Hodgdon

Varget

H335

H4831SC

H322

Benchmark

Alliant

Reloader 7

Reloader 19

Reloader 15

Accurate

Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on N140 or N133?

N133, N135, and N140 are all excellent powders in .223. N133 is the most accurate powder with 55's in my AR's. They measure very consistently and are very clean. The only drawback is price and sometimes availability but you already have them :cheers:

Yes, and quickly became overwhelmed. It seems like I can use most powders for 1 or more of the calibers I'd like to load. But really I'd rather start working stuff up from a smaller pool of choices. Also, if I can put a dent in my ammo cost for the next year by unloading some of the stuff locally I won't mind doing that at all.