Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen4 Glock 35 Recoil Spring for Minor

mattx

I'm fairly new to this still but I've been shooting a hotter loading of 40 in production and it isn't helping me when it comes time to score, and I need all the help I can get. I haven't chrono'd it, but I'm pretty sure it will make major based on manufacturer data. Either way, I need to load more anyway, so I have an excuse to experiment with some minor loads.

I have a stock of components, 165 gr jacketed bullets, which I realize now is not the way to go to be down near the lower PF bound. From doing the math on the data in my reloading manual, it seems heavy and slow is the way to go. I think my gun will function with the minimum published load and stock spring, so I will be loading below the the starting load in my manual.

Is there an equation or some sort that will tell me what weight recoil spring I need? I was reading that a 14 lb spring would be the ticket for light 40 loads. I am aiming for 165 gr at just under 900 fps for ~145 PF, based on some data I found online.

Looking online, if I want a lighter weight spring, I will have to settle for a single spring setup instead of the dual Gen4 springs. Has anybody had any reliability errors with these springs? Does anybody make a dual spring setup with a lighter spring?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any insight.

If you go with the full length guide rod and the gen 4 adapter you can easily try any spring and decide which one you like best. I run a FLGR in all of mine because of the extra weight under the barrel and I can swap springs with ease to match the ammunition I am shooting at the time. For me a 13 lb. spring works the best in minor.

Edited by bowenbuilt

A couple of points/comments for you to consider:

1 - If you're just starting competitive shooting I wouldn't put a ton of time/effort into coming up with a super light load off the bat. I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between a load that makes 125 PF and one that makes 145 PF. At least I can't.

2 - You shouldn't load less than the published minimum. I know many people do but I'm just repeating what I learned in my NRA reloading class.

3 - 180 grain bullets seem to be the most popular weight for .40 loads but 200 grain bullets are available so those are worth considering.

4 - Which pistol are you shooting with?

5 - I think most folks buy a replacement guide rod and then springs in various weights and just experiment until they find one that feels best. I don't think you'll find any kind of chart or standard that says if you use XX bullet weight and YY powder and it makes ZZ power factor then use a ?? pound recoil spring. Experimenting is half the fun :).

I use a jager guide rod designed for a gen4. I don't have to use an adapter or anything else, just the guide rod. I am running a Glock 35, but using a 13# spring. With that combo, I have to run a lighter striker spring or the striker spring will pull the slide out of battery. I run a 4.5# striker spring. I am contemplating going up to a 15# spring and trying the factory 5.5# striker spring again to regain some reliability with hard primers though.

I would advise against any of the double spring aftermarket guide rod setups. I had one come apart on me on its second trip to the range. If you are going to replace the guide rod and spring I suggest either a Zev (Glockworx) or Jager full length SS rod, an adapter if needed and a variety of ISMI springs from 11-15lbs. Trust me, any sort of plugs, screws or the like will come apart on you at just the wrong time.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot a stock gen 4 glock 35. I reload 180gr bullets at 750 fps for 135 pf. I have never had any trouble use it for production and 3 gun, shoots really soft and fast. I would just play around if your loads you like wont cycle then try different parts.