Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

incredible new shooter in PA + free beer

doghiker

No not really, I'm completely new to handguns having purchased my first last month. Really enjoying my range trips and slowly starting to improve. Just doing slow fire at close ranges while I learn how to pull the trigger and hit where I want.

What is the simplest type of competition I could enter in a few months down the road? Will be using a stock pistol and would like a relatively simple intro to the sport.

Steel Challenge is by far the easiest to start with. Generally very little movement. No fancy gear required. Just a pistol or rimfire rifle, some magazines (5 would be ideal) and some ammo. Holster would be good, but you can start at "low ready" at most matches until you get the holster figured out. You can shoot with fewer magazines, but you may need to load mags between runs which isn't ideal, but quite acceptable.

Welcome and yet another vote for steel challenge. Find a club hosting a match and take what you have with you (leave your pistol, unloaded, in the car). When you get there ask for the match director and tell him/her that you're new and would like to watch the match. Then watch it and ask questions of shooters after they've had their turn shooting. I'm the match director for steel challenge at our club and when I've had someone ask me about the match I invite them out and tell them that after watching the match if they want to try shooting a stage then I'd be happy to stay behind and walk them through it. Good luck!

I agree, Steel Challenge is the easiest to start out in but can still be a ton of fun. Don't wait until a few months down the road. Get to a match around you soon and be safe and have fun.

+1

As soon as you have safe gun handling down, start shooting matches. Matches are the best practice their is.

OK, I'm convinced. Went on steelchallenge.com and searched for clubs, it looks like there are a couple in my part of the state (Philly area). Plus a number in NJ which kind of surprised me given the rules in that state. I'll check out the first match I can get to.

NJ has a surprisingly good practical pistol community. We have multiple IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc matches every month.

You're more than welcome to bring your pistol across the border and join us for a match as well. To be compliant with our confusing laws:

• No magazines that hold 16 or more rounds. Period. No exceptions of any sort. 15 or less only.
  • Keep the unloaded pistol, mags, and ammo secured in the trunk. It IS legal to have the mags loaded, but I personally don't risk it. A cop who doesn't know the law could ruin your day. The pistol case/pouch only HAS to be locked if you have an SUV or other vehicle that doesn't have a separate trunk. However, locking the pistol case is never a bad idea.
  • Drive DIRECTLY to the match, then drive DIRECTLY home. In NJ, you are only allowed to have a pistol in the car when driving to/from your home/gunsmith/sanctioned match/range. The law allows for only "reasonable" deviations - but what is "reasonable" has never been tested in court. Therefore, to be safe, just don't deviate. Get gas before entering NJ.
  • Don't drive like a dummy. If you don't get pulled over, you'll never have any problems.

That's a pretty good primer. That covers most of the scenarious you could encounter. I'm in North Jersey myself or I would offer to bring you out to one of our local matches as well. There's a very strong contingent of South jersey shooters who are equally welcoming!

Edited by ClangClang

one of the local SC matches was last Sunday and run the first Sunday of each month. The club is in Jackson,NJ and offers SC and USPSA the links are below. Don't waste time come out ASAP, just be safe and know how to work your chosen pistol. So depending on where you are in PA come on out!

http://www.centraljerseysteel.com/

http://www.cjuspsa.org/

There is also a club in Old Bridge that offers so other matches. I can shoot two matches most weekends with out much travel time.

http://obcats.com/

http://www.oldbridgeknockdown.com/

This club offers USPSA and is near Hackettstown NJ

http://www.shongum.org/

Edited by FLHX

Wow, thanks Clang and FLHX! There's a club near my house (lower pottsgrove rod and gun) thats running a match on 5/4 and I'll probably go here first time. Will def keep NJ in mind and appreciate the rules summary, you hear about some very unjust prosecutions. I have a good friend in northern NJ and do get up there sometimes.

Now just have to see if I can hit things at 25 yds...