Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressed M1A

1chota

I have changed out the flash hider on my M1A with an adapter threaded standard threads for muzzle brakes, etc. What are the pros and cons of using a suppressor on the M1A?

thanx, :cheers:

Poi shifts are huge with M1A/M-14,s. I'm not so sure that an adapter like you have would support a suppressor reliably, or be concentric enough, best thing to do is call Ron Smith at Smith Enterprises and describe what you want to do.

FYI , to back up what Kurt said, my AR10 shoots 7" low with a can on it! I couldn't believe something would make that big of an impact at 100 yds. I was shooting at 200 yds, but not seeing any bullet holes in the paper. I was all smug knowing that they were all in the black, until I walked down there to pick up the target and there wasn't a hole one in it! Had to move back to 100 yds to figure it out. Still don't quite understand the how's and whys, but sure enough, 7" low, and that's with full power ammo.

Quick question(s):

- recommended suppressor?

- does a .308 really "suppress"? ...really?

-jb

I just cleared a Suppressed Armament Ti .308 can- use it multi caliber.

http://www.suppressedarmament.com/

I really like the super low weight. Suppression is good- imagine the sound of pulling a quick disconnect hose off of an air compressor but magnified.

Their prices went up $100 after I bought mine.

Does it "suppress"?

Compared to nothing? Yes.

Compared to a comp? MOST DEF.

My friends razzed me about "needing" a can, but despite the hassle and cost, it's still going to be way cheaper than prescription hearing aids when I'm older.

Now that I finally have mine, they're saving their pennies.

FYI , to back up what Kurt said, my AR10 shoots 7" low with a can on it! I couldn't believe something would make that big of an impact at 100 yds. I was shooting at 200 yds, but not seeing any bullet holes in the paper. I was all smug knowing that they were all in the black, until I walked down there to pick up the target and there wasn't a hole one in it! Had to move back to 100 yds to figure it out. Still don't quite understand the how's and whys, but sure enough, 7" low, and that's with full power ammo.

Wow. I have a little less than 1" rise at 100 yards with the can on.

What can and mount are you using? Have you checked your mount alignment?

It sounds like your barrel shoulder isn't square to the bore.

We are comparing two distinct systems here. An AR-10 has, in your cases, a fully free floated barrel. An M-14/M1 has a stock tension point right behind the gas system (anywhere from 7-25 lb. of down tension on the barrel for a bedded rifle) any little change in weight sends them way off! Hell just reaming the stock flash suppressor out will change impact up to 7 moa. Apples and Ford comparison.

I'm shooting more than just ARs through this can. My Mosin doesn't have that much shift at 100...or if it does it's within the normal "group" of milsurp ammo :goof: .

I'm not doubting that the M1's tension can cause that much shift, I just wanted to make sure that the shift wasn't a symptom of misalignment. After waiting and obsessing for a year, I'm just as diligent about baffle strikes on a stranger's suppressor as I am on mine.

Edited by BitchinCamaro