Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Actual clearance needed for 650 Case Feeder?

I can't believe it has taken me 20 years to buy the case feeder. It was one of those things that I said I would buy later and then I went 20 years and thousands and thousands of reloads. I just ordered it and while searching I found that I have to redo my bench since the total height is 39 inches. I see that you need 38.5 but I suspect you need more than that to change plates and add brass.

So since I will have to tear out and rebuild my bench how much actual clearnace should I plan for?

No more filling that tube every so many cases, what a pain when you forget.

Don't tear anything up yet. I too had a limit and was concerned but ended up with no issues. The recommended height I believe gives you clearance to access the feeder. I'll measure mine tonight it you need.

You can easily shorten the height of the casefeeder a few inches. I'd recommend you wait to get the case feeder before you do any mods to your bench.

That would be great if I don't have to redo the bechwork. I built one that is better than Fort Knox and was not looking forward to taking it apart. If you don't mind let me know, I was going to try and have the bench work down prior to the case feeder coming in.

I just measured 40 3/4" from the base of the strong mount to the top of the case feeder.

I think you can do some trimming to the mount tube and the feeder tube to make it work for you without too much trouble.

Agreed, mine is approximately 40.5" from the bench top to the top of the case feeder (XL650 with strong mount). My ceiling is 48" above the bench top, the 7.5" of clearance hasn't been an issue in filling the case feeder or swapping plates.

Maybe this will help:

Floor to bench top = 36". Bench top to ceiling = 51". Bench top to top of hopper = 40". Top of hopper to ceiling = 11". Floor to ceiling total height = 7'3".

As far as access, the fold away shaving mirror (Home Depot) helps immensely and I can pour plenty of brass from a pail into the hopper. I wouldn't cut it much closer, though. :blush:

IMG_1340_zps5096aef9.jpg

Edited by blujax01

I cut my case feeder tube down and actually use one feeder for two machines.

If you have cabinets, the case feeder height can be problematic. However, it's nothing a pipe cutter can't solve!

53DAA3DD-ED7F-4643-82AB-5A3975411B2E_zps

Are you using a strong mount?

Yes. Dillon Strong Mount. The key measurement obviously is bench top to ceiling. I'm in a basement with a low ceiling so everything is a challenge (especially in some area under the duct work!). I do have a foot stool I stand on when I change the plate in the case feeder and I unfold the mirror from the side of the cabinet in order to see what I'm doing, like keeping an eye on when the hopper may be running low on brass, etc.

If you have cabinets, the case feeder height can be problematic. However, it's nothing a pipe cutter can't solve!

Henny, when you cut the mounting pipe (steel) don't you also have to cut down the clear case feeder tube in order for things to line up?

Edited by blujax01

Henny, when you cut the mounting pipe (steel) don't you also have to cut down the clear case feeder tube in order for things to line up?

Yes! Yes, you have to cut the clear feed tube too. Just remember to cut it from the bottom unless you want to rechamfer the top of the tube.