Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"New" 930 JM failure to FIRE

mwc5

I bought a Mossberg 930 JM for 3 gun about 45 days ago.

It functioned 100% shooting about 100 rds as shipped by Mossberg. The ONLY mod is I sent the trigger group to C-Rums to have the lifter welded - Jeff did a good job and turned it around in only one week.

Re-installed the trigger group, went to the range this morning to test and it does NOT fire.

I have zero experience and knowledge of this gun so am at a loss of what to look for - the unfired shells have NO primer dent. It loads and feeds OK, the bolt goes all the way closed ....................................

Some one smarter than me with any suggestions ???

THANKS in advance !

Pull the trigger out; test and see if the hammer is failing freely ( with enough force), look at the hammer spring make sure the cap is on the hammer spring . If you took apart the bolt carrier and bolt to clean them take them apart again and check to see if the firing pin moving freely . If every thing looks fine and the gun was running before you sent it out for the lifter work call them first, and send it back the trigger group may be damaged, or just assemble wrong. Things happen :blush:

Yes, I can see the hammer fall through slot on RS behind bolt.

I do have an email in to C-Rums asking if the trigger group was disassembled.

Will search here & try to find threads relating to this prob.

THANKS !!!

Mwc5; Doing some reading through some old post here about trigger jobs.. A shotgun that was having light strikes issues do to a lighter trigger hammer spring he put the original factory spring back in and no more light strikes, problem solved. worth a try

mwc5, I would look at pictures of the 930 fire control group/trigger housing available on the net and compare to yours. My bet is that it was reassembled incorrectly.

Fact that there is no firing pin mark on the primers when you attempt to fire, yet hammer drops, leads me to think its not a weak spring problem, but a mechanical problem, probably blocking the hammer from contacting firing pin. Something is where it does not belong.

Might be worth the cost of a visit to a local gunsmith that is familiar with the 930, if that is an option. Where are you located?

Maybe the plunger is missing from in front of the hammer spring? There are a few threads on here that have detailed disassembled trigger groups. I'll try to find a pic.

That would be GREAT, I would appreciate it !!!