Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clearing a malfunction during a course of fire...

I have a question and would like everyone’s input. I’ve looked through three gun rules for multiple matches (SMM3G, USPSA, 3 gun nation, SIT multi gun) and was wondering can you use tools to clear a malfunction during a course of fire? The reason I ask is that I had a double feed on a shotgun that I couldn’t clear and the only thing I could do was put on the safety and put it in the dumb barrel. If I would have had a punch or a long nylon scribe in my pocket I could have cleared the double feed and continued. Like I said I have been looking through rules and can’t find anything except in the USPSA 3 gun rules that say I have 2 minutes to clear, keep pointed down range, and keep finger of bang switch, it but says nothing about tools you may be carrying.

Here is what I found on USPSA,

2.6.2 In the event that a competitor’s firearm malfunctions after the Start signal, the competitor may safely attempt to correct the problem and continue the course of fire. During such corrective action, the competitor must keep his firearm’s muzzle pointing safely downrange at all times.

2.6.3 While rectifying a malfunction that requires the competitor to move the firearm away from aiming at a target, the competitor’s fingers must be clearly visible outside the trigger guard (see Rule [5.3.10]).

2.6.4 In the event that a malfunction cannot be corrected by the competitor within 2 minutes, he must point the firearm safely downrange and advise the Range Officer, who will terminate the course of fire (excluding any unattempted component strings in a Standard Exercise) in the normal manner. The course of fire (excluding any unattempted component strings in a Standard Exercise) will be scored as shot including all applicable misses and penalties.

Do not know of any specific rule forbidding tools (under SMM3G or RM3G). I have RO'd a couple shooters with 1911s who needed their knife to fix a mag being jammed into the gun. Most times you will hit PAR time. Just make sure you are safe when doing it.

Obviously this does not apply to "squibs", specific rules covering those issues.

This is good question to ask, I had an issue with my shotgun too at a local 3 gun match, luckily I was able to clear the malfunction without the use of any tool (double feed), I hope that I never have to use any kind of tool as this will create another issue with safety.

Of the matches that I have been to, I have not read anything in the rules saying that you could not use any tools. I have used a knife before, and have seen others use a knife. In most 3gun matches, there is a par time (some are now 100 seconds). In the case of a multigun stage, if your first gun goes down, unless you can get it going quick, you are probably better off dumping it and continuing on with the other gun/guns and trying to salvage as many points as possible. If it is the last gun used on the stage, work on it until the buzzer sounds.

Hurley

Thank you, after I got the double feed I had to leave 8 targets not engaged cost me a lot of time. Stage time maxed out at 180 seconds so I had plenty of time to clear the double if I would have had something to shove the extra shell back into the tube. (my finger just wouldn't reach). . I fixed the gun but now I'm a little skittish it might happen again, I was going to make something I could hang around my neck I can use until I felt it won't happen again. I'm gong to double check with the match director before my next big match. Thank you for the help.. , hopefully I fixed the gun, the last two stages I ran flawless...

Good question. I have been thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an hex wrench on hand if it's a little cold and I am a little unsure of whether I will need more gas to cycle the AR.

The USPSA 2004 handgun rules did contain a prohibition against using tools to rectify a malfunction, but that prohibition was removed in the 2008 rules and has not returned. I see nothing in the rules preventing you from doing whatever is necessary to rectify the situation provided it is done safely and within the stage time limit (if any). The decision to abandon the malfunctioning gun and shoot the rest of the stage is for the shooter to make, provided they can do so within the safety rules of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Good question. I have been thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have an hex wrench on hand if it's a little cold and I am a little unsure of whether I will need more gas to cycle the AR.

I always have excess gas so I will not be needing the hex wrench. :)