Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you wear your ar mag pouch?

If that's built like my bladetech glock mag pouches, then it's gonna hang suuuuuuuper far off of your belt. If you like to run on stages, I suspect it's gonna be a pretty floppy assembly.

I still suggest trying the pocket method against a shot timer. It's probably going to be faster and most pants include them for free!

This, exactly! The less junk I have hanging off my belt the less room for error.

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I'm new to the forum and new to 3-Gun too - 1st match in 3 weeks.

I'm trying to get familiar with the rules and this thread made me wonder about swapping mags on the AR. I have a Magpul MagLink Magazine Coupler (link below) that I received as a gift, but have never used. Is this legal for the Open Division? ....other divisions? Do you think that it's more of a gimmick than a useful tool? I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually used one.

(Sorry...could not post link. Apparently I need more posts to enable this option.)

Thanks in advance

Just about anything is legal in Open division. Mag couplers are legal everywhere I can think of in Tactical (but somebody will no doubt chime in with a rule set that disallows them as forbidden support devices). Couplers are very popular at places that use the FNH 3-Gun rules, which allow 30 rounds max per magazine and will encourage MDs to create 32–36 round rifle stages just to force a reload. At least one 3-Gun Nation rifle classifier specifies a reload from the belt, so there can be specific stages where your coupler would be disallowed.

At a minimum, it's useful to have at least one set of coupled mags because they can be very handy.

@CJW - Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll take the mag coupler and a few extra pmags of varying capacity just to be sure. I also ordered a Blade Tech mag pouch that I plan to wear at 4:00 on the weak side, bullets down, bullets facing strong side. We'll see how it works on the 31st. Thanks again.

I also run a mag pouch in the 7 and 8 o clock position. I usually run a 48 round nordic extended mag and I run a 20 round pmag on my belt. The 20 rounder is shorter and doesn't dig into my side. I usually won't need more than 68 rounds on a stage! Give it a shot it's very comfortable.