Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold XDm 5.25 w/PRP trigger = fail

chevyoneton

I had read about you Yankees having trouble with your PRP triggers in the cold. I blew it off as I live in Florida and have never had any trouble, until last Wednesday. I pull my 5.25 XDm .40 out of my truck at the TFG3G match in Blakley GA and rack the slide for a little dry fire and, nothing. I quickly change to my 4.5 XDm (that I do not shoot as well) for the first stage before going back to work on the 5.25. I get it warmed up and somewhat working but not 100%. I woke up and realized the frames were the same and swapped barrels/slides and finished the match with my 9mm/.40 gun but without my sweet trigger (that was not sweet at all right then). Guess I will do the freezer thing and take a little more off the tail on my PRP trigger after all. It might get cold down here in Florida or I might head North (to Georgia) to shoot again some day.

The same thing happened to a friend, he made it through the match by putting those hand warmer thingies on the gun between stages.

Both of my XD's failed the freezer test at first.

I'm kind of suprised that prp doesn't say something about cold weather proofing on their vids or written instructions.

The same thing happened to a friend, he made it through the match by putting those hand warmer thingies on the gun between stages.

Both of my XD's failed the freezer test at first.

I'm kind of suprised that prp doesn't say something about cold weather proofing on their vids or written instructions.

I agree, there's been so many posts on this on different forums that PRP should put a note about it in the installation instructions and on their videos. Would save people from embarrasment and confusion. It's such a simple fix.

JD

Your gun is already "tuned" for cold weather it appears.

There's no need to break the gun down as PRP shows. Just protect the frame with tape, card or whatever and reduce material off the over travel pad on the backside of the trigger.

More (over) travel is better than not enough if it'll kill your gun when temps change.

JMHO.

huh.. First I've heard of this problem. Going to have to research it now

If you search for coefficient of thermal expansion, it looks like the plastic part of the gun should contract 2-10 times more than the metal (not sure about which plastic is the right one to pick on the tables, 2 is roughly best case and 10 is roughly worst case).

Don't know if this is the thing about the thing, but it seems like a reasonable theory.