Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unique, bluedot, or red dot?

3djedi

Are they 8# jug good or just 1# good until something better shows up? The two load manual I have don't list either red dot or unique....my LGS got in both in 1# and 8# bottles. (Or might of been 5#)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well, I'm using 4.5 grs Promo (poor mans RedDot) at an OAL of 1.175 with a MG 124 jhp in a Limited minor set-up. Gives me a 147 power factor in a heavy Caspian 9mm and shoots so soft I was actually shocked at the high PF numbers. I got the reloading data directly out of an older Alliant reloading hand out for Red Dot.

Disclaimer: USE ABOVE DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK! Load is safe in my gun only, yours may vary!

Each of the types you asked about will work well in 9mm. If you are looking for the least felt recoil for a minor load Red Dot is the ticket. If you need a powder to make a comp work, Blue Dot. Unique falls half way between the 2, it's a little slower than RD but quicker burning than BD. For all around use Unique. You didn't mention what kind of loads you were looking for, this would help choose a powder more tuned to your planned use.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Red dot gives a nice soft shooting minor behind a 147 tip.

Unique is a very good all round powder, I like to keep a pound or two on hand for as back up, will work in most pistol calibres and weights.

Blue dot is a decent slow powder for open.

Red dot gives a nice soft shooting minor behind a 147 tip.

Unique is a very good all round powder, I like to keep a pound or two on hand for as back up, will work in most pistol calibres and weights.

Blue dot is a decent slow powder for open.

Whats a good starting grain for a minor load with 147grn plated bullets