Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks "Olive Green" Frame

minnesota1

I recently won 2 guns at a GSSF shoot and the papers they sent me to get the guns said I could get them in an "olive green" color. Does anyone know if this means they painted on a finish that probably would chip off later on and look like crud or did they make all of the polymer that color? :unsure: Also, what are your impressions of the color on the gun? Would it be worth a try?

Thanks,

Bob

i like to make my g17 two tone. can OD frames (just the frame)

be purchased? :mellow:

Yes , contact Glockmeister.

You can do a frame swap ($155) which means your old frame gets destroyed or just buy a complete lower (~$230).

I always thought Glock should have made the frame available in a matte grey or silver.

Put some contrasting grip tape on it .

Cool ..

The color is part of the plastic.  No paint.  I have one, and I am the envy of all the other mall ninja.

Pictures! Give us pictures!

G17_Green.jpg

Remember, you asked for it... ;)

I could be wrong, but the likelihood of the Glock being molded in a very light color like gray/silver is very low. Not because Glock wouldn't want to make it, but because the amount of coloring agent weakens the plastic. The two strongest colors are natural (raw plastic color) and black. Every other color goes down from there.

Actually it looks good to me, specially with what I think are your TruGrips?

And please, define what "raw plastic color" is. I think I remember from a documentary that plastic is kinda white o creamish looking. I could be seriously wrong though.

And, how does the coloring agen weakens the plastic?

Oh, and thanks for the pic.

There are already other Glock colors:

Red - Non operational training gun only, *BUT*, the frame could be used with a regular slide to create an operational gun. Definitely not a good idea, given the "non-operational" convention Glock has adopted for the color.

Bright Blue - Used for some sort of simulation round (not sure it it was simunition)

Orange - Magazines only. These were generally sold to LE for "range mags", and later on (I think) they changed it to orange baseplates only.

And please, define what "raw plastic color" is. I think I remember from a documentary that plastic is kinda white o creamish looking. I could be seriously wrong though.

And, how does the coloring agen weakens the plastic?

Raw plastic color is the color of the plastic before the coloring agent is added, and you're correct, it's generally a milky whitish to off-white for consumer plastics. Engineering resins can vary substantially in their natural color.

The coloring agent weakens the plastic by simply replacing what was plastic with coloring agent. Black is an incredibly strong coloring agent and just a *tiny* amount will render the material jet black. Thus, black plastic retains almost ideal mechanical properties.

White is the toughest color to make and takes a large amount of titanium dioxide to make the material white. I forget the %, but I think it's on the order of 5%. So much the plastic is displaced by coloring agent that the mechanical properties are substantially reduced.

All the colors in-between obviously have intermediate mechanical properties. This is one of the reasons gray STI grips are so prone to cracking.

Eric,

If black is the strongest of the pigmented colors, how strong do you think this olive green color is and how do you think it will stand up as compared to the black? :huh: The pictures you showed looked really nice. I'm almost to the point of saying that is what I want!

Thanks,

Bob

M1,

I have absolutely no clue. White/whitish colors are the real known strength problem with plastics. The problem is making something darkish white, not vice-versa. I've not heard of any other problem colors, plus I've been away from the plastics industry for so long I wouldn't even know who to call to find out if there were.

I'm sure it's just fine, or Glock, Walther, and SA never would have done it. Besides, anybody that's ever had any kind of a problem with a Glock frame just sends it in and gets a new one.