Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Very new to the sport

2o2ll

I've just recently decided to get into competitive shooting and so far i've obtained an 38SC with Tripp frame / Caspian slide / Schuemann barrel / c-more 6dot. I'm currently in the market for a holster / belt / mag pouches and just made a deal on a good starters reloading set up (just need 38sc dye). so if anyone has preferably DAA holster / i wear size 32-33 pants so not sure what size belt to get / mag pouches and 38sc dye for sale please send me a message! also prefer the belt etc to be blue or black. What i would like to know is, what else do i need to get started? I've searched many threads to find out what training techniques etc to practice but it would be great if you guys can link it all on this post so i can find everything much much easier! My name is Luan (male lol) by the way and thank you all very much for having me here!

Luan, you need a chronograph, if you're going to load .38 super to major (PF 165+).

You're going to need powder (good luck - no one can find powder).

Check out, right here on BE - Forums Reloading - 9mm/.38, and read for a half

hour - you'll learn how to reload for your new gun - sounds great.

Best to start at your local range that offers USPSA/IPSC matches (look under

USPSA.org for list of local matches.

Get out there - talk to the shooters - tell the RO you're a newbie, and have a ball.

Try the Dot Torture Drill - my favorite - it will tell you a LOT.

Good luck and welcome. :cheers:

New to competitive shooting and reloading jumping into open. I wish you luck my friend.

I would dry fire, a lot. Get Steve Andersen's book and then get Ben Stoeger's as well. Scavenge every piece of brass you can, you are going to hurting for super brass. Like HP Jack said, get a chrono.

Good luck.

I don't know if starting in Open is a bad thing, I could have saved a lot of money starting in Open :eatdrink:

If you know that's what you want to shoot, shoot it!

I think you can learn faster in Open if you don't let your ego get in the way. It's easier to call shots with a dot, easier to shoot faster with an comp and A LOT easier to plan a stage without all those pesky reloads!

Luan, you need a chronograph, if you're going to load .38 super to major (PF 165+).

You're going to need powder (good luck - no one can find powder).

Check out, right here on BE - Forums Reloading - 9mm/.38, and read for a half

hour - you'll learn how to reload for your new gun - sounds great.

Best to start at your local range that offers USPSA/IPSC matches (look under

USPSA.org for list of local matches.

Get out there - talk to the shooters - tell the RO you're a newbie, and have a ball.

Try the Dot Torture Drill - my favorite - it will tell you a LOT.

Good luck and welcome. :cheers:

that is some great info! thanks for the knowledge sir

New to competitive shooting and reloading jumping into open. I wish you luck my friend.

I would dry fire, a lot. Get Steve Andersen's book and then get Ben Stoeger's as well. Scavenge every piece of brass you can, you are going to hurting for super brass. Like HP Jack said, get a chrono.

Good luck.

I agree 100% here! Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition" along with Ben Stoeger's "Practical Pistol" will give you all you need for practice information, and drills. They can both be found right here in the vendors section.

Good luck.

I agree 100% here! Steve Anderson's "Refinement and Repetition" along with Ben Stoeger's "Practical Pistol" will give you all you need for practice information, and drills. They can both be found right here in the vendors section.

thank you sir! will definitely get ahold of those books soon, real soon!

I don't know if starting in Open is a bad thing, I could have saved a lot of money starting in Open :eatdrink:

If you know that's what you want to shoot, shoot it!

I think you can learn faster in Open if you don't let your ego get in the way. It's easier to call shots with a dot, easier to shoot faster with an comp and A LOT easier to plan a stage without all those pesky reloads!

I wasn't implying that going straight into open being a bad thing, it's just that the division is fairly equipment heavy. Getting your gun to run reliably and making major safely can be pretty daunting if you have no prior experience with it. As I have read in a members signature "Open is a lot like death metal; Loud, Fast, and not for everyone." But I do agree that open will really bring out your flaws and you can grow as a shooter much quicker using that kind of gun.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

I suggest buy your ammo from a supplier while you are developing your reloads. I buy mine from atlanta arms and ammo. their 38 super comp runs like a champ in my sti gm. I have a dillon 550 but will rather put my time first on the range than reload.

I suggest buy your ammo from a supplier while you are developing your reloads. I buy mine from atlanta arms and ammo. their 38 super comp runs like a champ in my sti gm. I have a dillon 550 but will rather put my time first on the range than reload.

thank you very much, i recently purchased 500rds of their 38sc and i love it! absolutely amazing loads

• 2 weeks later...