Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storing Brass Outside

mjohn

Would there be any potential problems for the brass when reloading if the brass was to be stored outside in 5 gallon buckets for the long term? The brass would be outside and subject to temperature fluctuations due to the seasonal temperature changes.

I do not have that many buckets of brass. However, there are no convenient places to put the buckets except in the traffic walk areas. The garage is small and well occupied with other necessary items.

I just wanted to know if anybody has stored brass outside and if there are any potential negatives associated with outside storage.due to temperature fluctuation.

not sure what long term means to you. I store brass outside in sealed plastic buckets without a problem. Home depot buckets with those little rubber seals for the lid. I've stored for up to two years without a problem. No need to even tumbe, just load and shoot. So long as you keep the water out oxidation will be minimal.

I store my brass in an unheated garage as well...usually in 1 gallon plastic bags so that I can label them as to whether or not they have been trimmed, resized, etc. Haven't bothered with desiccant and never had a problem. Since I reload in the same garage the brass is always at ambient temp when I reload so condensation is not a problem for me.

I clean with an ultrasonic and let them fully dry on a microfiber towel in the garage before putting them into the bags.

not sure what long term means to you. I store brass outside in sealed plastic buckets without a problem. Home depot buckets with those little rubber seals for the lid. I've stored for up to two years without a problem. No need to even tumbe, just load and shoot. So long as you keep the water out oxidation will be minimal.

5-gallon Home Depot buckets with lids should be fine. I wouldn't bother cleaning them until you are ready to use them.

Yep.......that was the plan. I was concerned if there would be any derogation of the brass due to condensation from being outside with hot to cold temperature changes.

5-gallon Home Depot buckets with lids should be fine. I wouldn't bother cleaning them until you are ready to use them.

Yep..........That was the plan. I was worried about condensation due to the temperature fluctuations.