Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for shooting off a barrier.

Reverse kneeling is awesome, when the barrier or port isn't too high to do it that is.

How do you approach a barrier when you cant reverse kneel? When standing?

Ive found that putting the forward most part of the handguard on the barrier and locking my knees seems to work well. Im still real bad at shooting 200+ yard rifle targets like this however.

Are you putting the front edge of the hand guard on the barricade? I usually put the bottom of my tube on the top of the barricade and grab the barricade with like 3 fingers and then grab my tube with thumb and first finger. It clamps the rifle pretty good but I have large hands and a small diameter tube.

Koop, I had a couple misses off the barricades at SC regional also... Was standing, but not locking legs, and after sprinting on both stages, I was pretty wobbly trying to steady handguard on top of barricades... I wound up going prone for the 275 yd stage, and only missing 1 out of 11 shots

Koop, I had a couple misses off the barricades at SC regional also... Was standing, but not locking legs, and after sprinting on both stages, I was pretty wobbly trying to steady handguard on top of barricades... I wound up going prone for the 275 yd stage, and only missing 1 out of 11 shots

Yeah I had trouble on the stage at the dam on the plate rack. I was just all over. The longer range stage I did well, but went prone.

I do the same as you mertbl, but I do see people jam their rifle all the way up to the magwell. (doesnt work for me). The front of the rifle is pretty solid, its the rear while standing that is causing my movement. Been focusing on this specifically in my practice lately.

When possible on a step barricade I will push the rifle forend over into the barricade and hold it with my hand. Same thing I do when shooting tactical bolt guns. If nothing to push it against i just hold it as best I can and lean into it. The pressure makes it a little more stable. I also found since getting my Seekins Precision SP3G the flat forend makes barricade shots very stable.

August_1_2009_010.jpg

ARgrip_zpsc0d5369e.png

I watched Jerry M shoot through a port (in a covered wooden bunker) at FNH last year on our stage. You had to shoot either kneeling or crouching as the port was too high for reverse kneeling. Targets (MGM flashers) to 425 I think. This was the last shooting position for the stage. He put the rifle through the port touching the magwell and tight into the corner of the port. He of course shot a great time on the stage and I think had one miss with rifle. I shot the same way the day before and it gives you a stable, almost locked position. Many shooters, some very good shooters, had trouble with this stage trying to shoot kneeling with only their handguard on the port. Since it was the last shooting position you didn’t lose any time getting back out of the position.

I watched Jerry M shoot through a port (in a covered wooden bunker) at FNH last year on our stage. You had to shoot either kneeling or crouching as the port was too high for reverse kneeling. Targets (MGM flashers) to 425 I think. This was the last shooting position for the stage. He put the rifle through the port touching the magwell and tight into the corner of the port. He of course shot a great time on the stage and I think had one miss with rifle. I shot the same way the day before and it gives you a stable, almost locked position. Many shooters, some very good shooters, had trouble with this stage trying to shoot kneeling with only their handguard on the port. Since it was the last shooting position you didn’t lose any time getting back out of the position.

Longest target on that stage was 325 yards.

I was one that only rested the handguard, I left the 325 target, rather than go to war with it. :angry2: