Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighten the trigger?

G17raider

Alright, I have a 2 3/4lbs trigger that has the following: Reduced power striker spring, polished internals, re-drilled trigger spring hole, and a 3.5lb connector. I tried a extra power trigger spring, but according to the scale that was used, my pull slightly went up. Are there any other mods I can do to further lighten my pull? Thanks.

BTW, I don't have much faith in trigger scales on the Glock...they're somewhat subjective.
More than a little. I have one of those RCBS electronic trigger scales, and the trigger weight measurement on my Glock varies by almost 12 ounces. My finger sure can't tell the difference...

- Chris

Does anyone have an opinion of grinding a 45 degree angle on the left side of the striker? Dale Rhea does this and I was wondering what my outcome would be.

Be VERY Careful. It's possible to create a gun that'll double, triple and quadruple. The test would be: Reassemble. With an unloaded gun, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear. Cycle the slide. Release the trigger. If you hear the striker firing again, you;ve taken off too much metal --- and the gun is UNSAFE to fire!

Does anyone have an opinion of grinding a 45 degree angle on the left side of the striker? Dale Rhea does this and I was wondering what my outcome would be.

The effect of that mod is mainly to lighten the striker. It also reduces the engagement surface to the striker so, as mentioned earlier - be careful.

The use of a trigger scale on a Glock takes some technique to get repeatable readings. First the scale must be placed on the trigger in the same location from reading to reading. Since the trigger safety must be depressed I start with the scale almost at a 45 degree angle to the bore. As pressure is applied and the trigger moves rearward you can change the angle of the trigger scale to parrallel with the bore. Make sure the scale does not contact the trigger guard or the grip at any time. The stroke on the scale in smooth and slow. With this technique I can get very repeatable readings.

I recently purchased a G34 and was quite concerned with the 6# 14 ounce let off out of the box. After about 500 rounds through the gun the trigger is now breaking at 4# 4 ounces. Nothing has been done to the trigger at this point except shooting the gun. The trigger is grittier than I am use to and I will polish up the internals soon.

Take your scale and use it over and over until you can get repeatable readings. Just like we are picky on many of the technique we use to fire the weapons that we choose, we should be picky in how we use other tools of the trade. By being diligent in our use of whatever scale we use we will have more consistant results.

Clay

I think the real trick to a Glock trigger is smooth and fast. A titanium striker cuts your lock time in half and makes the trigger feel very crisp.Polish everything up and see how that feels. The titanium srtiker also increases your reliability. Reducing the striker spring gives you a lighter trigger but it will also increase your chances of light strikes on the primers. The titanium striker will alleviate this priblem.

One last thing you can do to make the trigger feel better is to do away with the take up. This is tricky but there are several ways to do it. I have a trick of my own if you are interested. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail and I will try to explain what I do to get rid of the take up. It really makes my sub 2 pound Glock trigger feel like a 1911.

DvC...

Rob Jessee

shooter_rob@yahoo.com

Rob, I see that many are shooting Ti strikers, but I also see where some discourage the ti products because they break at the most inopportune times. For a target gun that is one thing for a defensive piece that is quite a different story.

My carry Glock 23 has the same trigger job and parts that my USPSA production division Glock 22 has. I have had both my Ti strikers for well over 3 years with literally thousands of rounds through both of them. I do remember some problems with some of the first Ti strikers that hit the market but i think they have the buggs worked hot of them. Lightning strike is the best one on the martket, expensive but dependable. You will be shocked at how much better it will make your trigger feel, it will also help you shoot better by cutting down on your lock time.

DvC...

Rob