Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 vs 550 - Powder Check

New to the forum, after having read a bunch of posts and Brian's notes on his website for 550 vs 650. I agree with him on the 550 and think it fits my profile - "new" reloader (haven't done it in 20+ years), low volume (maybe 200-500 rounds per month), multiple calibers (.45, .40, 5.56). The only thing that has me leaning towards the 650 is the powder check system. I would think that would be a handy feature for newbies. Is it worthwhile and should I just spend the extra and go with the 650?

+1 on ^^^^^^ that. The powder check is really only good if your making thousands of rounds quickly. In fact sometimes I think its hindrance. Your pulling the lever and all of a sudden "BEEP". You look at it and say let me check this load. You look in the case - and everything looks fine. You dump the powder in to the scale. And yes its just fine (-.1). So the moral is if it looks good, and you trust your powder measure, you are usually good to go and the powder check system does not help. I mostly use it for 9mm (because I use Tightgroup - which requires a minimal powder drop - the case is nowhere being filled), and I don't want to look at each round. It does help there. But I can count on one hand how many times its gone off.

I think the extra safety the auto index and station for the lockout die provides is worth the extra few dollars.

Don't be afraid of the caliber conversion process it is simple once you do it a few times.

Edited by L3324temp

Normally I would suggest the 550, but since you included 5.56 in your mix, i would recommend the 650 as the case feeder will handle rifle rounds. You DO want a case feeder. Eventually you will up your production, and the case feeder is awesome. Personally I wouldn't bother with the powder check (or a low powder warning). Just my humble opinion.

Fwiw I plan on picking up a powder check for 223 bcause its harder to see the powder. Since a double would spill over the case anyway I would basically be using it to look for a no charge.

For pistol I just look into the case. I use powders that result I the case being decently full. Maybe I might hook it up for pistol once I get it...nice to have a back up in case there is a distraction and I can't recall 100% seeing the powder level in the case I just put a bullet on.

Best feature of the 650 is the auto advance. Was worth it over the 550 for me and I'm pretty sure I "should" have been a 550 owner.

Is it worthwhile and should I just spend the extra and go with the 650?

I have both presses and while I have never had any problems without the PC on a 550 or SD for that matter, I do have PC's on my 650's and 1050's. Every time I read another "kaboom" thread I think of how they would have been worth it to the poster. Edited by jmorris

+1 on ^^^^^^ that. The powder check is really only good if your making thousands of rounds quickly. In fact sometimes I think its hindrance. Your pulling the lever and all of a sudden "BEEP". You look at it and say let me check this load. You look in the case - and everything looks fine. You dump the powder in to the scale. And yes its just fine (-.1). So the moral is if it looks good, and you trust your powder measure, you are usually good to go and the powder check system does not help. I mostly use it for 9mm (because I use Tightgroup - which requires a minimal powder drop - the case is nowhere being filled), and I don't want to look at each round. It does help there. But I can count on one hand how many times its gone off.

Good to know I was going to get for my 650