Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bipod location for open

gerritm

I have gotten into open class and this will be my first full season shooting it. I am curious and have searched the forums, but can't seem to find a thread on where to put the bipod. I see some install it closer to the barrel nut and others run it out towards the end. I am shooting an 18" barrel with a Lancer carbon fiber 16.25" handguard and have put it towards the end of the handguard about an inch in.I can reach the legs when it is deployed with no problem to move it from target to target. Seems to be very stable. It is kind of hard to reach that far out to deploy and am thinking of putting a rope on the legs to help. Just wondering if one position is better than the other and why?

Thanks, gerritm

I have mine set up for a forward and rearward position and use which ever one works better for that stage. Towards the front the gun is more stable for long shots, towards the barrel nut it is less stable but is easier to move and works places where there is not enough length to the platform you are resting on, like the tower at Ironman. I use it in the forward position most often.

Doug

definitely 2-3 locations on yer forend. usually the middle is fine, but some places the near or far. with a low sloping roof like at superstition it was nice to have the bipod real close to the chamber. i have 3 on a full length JP hand guard.