Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squad Stage Summary

wgnoyes

Anybody know that this exists?

post-2179-0-88263800-1394549372_thumb.pn

It's in the android version, and show you statistics of how long a given squad took to complete a given stage. Total time for everyone, average time per competitor, and fastest turnaround. There is no corresponding iOS report.

Edited by wgnoyes

It's there regardless of whether you're carrying the nooks with you or leaving them at the stages. It seems most useful to match directors for when scores are synced into a central master during the progress of a major match. You can see where bottlenecks are forming the match and possibly throw some more personnel at the problem.

The point is, you didn't know. Neither did I. One of our people stumbled across it this past weekend with a random stray finger touch.

How did you get there?

EXACTLY!

(If you're not interested in the following support scenario, please go ahead and scroll down to the bottom of this post for the answer.)

I opened up a problem last weekend about "easter eggs" like this. I appreciate features like this being added to the system, but you have to tell us about it somewhere!

Their response was

Not true. See item https://practiscore.com/bugs/view.php?id=5 in the change log

for 1.2.10.

I'll quote the particulars of that here, since I'm not sure everyone has access to the practiscore mantis system, which if they don't, begs another question....

0000005: Enter Scores page should display 'x/y Shooters Scored' as Android does

After selecting 'Enter Scores' from the main page, the Android version displays the 'x/y Shooters Scored' under the 'Squad #' text. This is invaluable for confirming everyone has shot the stage, particularly as you walk around syncing devices.

And the problem was summarily closed without further comment.

But the mantis problem change log item MAKES NO MENTION about a Squad Stage Summary pop-up window.

I reopened it, responding:

I'm sorry, but it IS true. It's not in the change log. I don't mean the mantis

bug tracker change log, which most people do not look at, but rather THIS change

log: https://practiscore.com/app-information/#toggle-id-1

And also for that matter, the change log contained within the app itself. (How many people know THAT exists? On the main screen screen, tap on the version/release number line that appears just below the 'change match' cmdbutton. For whatever reason, you'll have to tap on it anywhere from 1 to a dozen times or more to get it to come up, by the way.)

And the response I got:

Bill, you are welcome to contribute your time to write better documentation for

the app, but on my side I don't see any need to make any other changes in the

app.

And the issue was closed again.

So. Now we're invited to contribute documentation for features of the system but we're not told about the existence of the features we're expected to document. <_<

So, I will do what android support apparently cannot or will not do:

The squad stage summary is available from any individual squad list for any stage within score entry. Look in the upper right-hand corner and you'll see text that says 8/8 (or something similar) meaning in this example 8 of 8 shooters in the squad have complete the stage. Tap on that, even though you would have no visual clue (like making it look like a cmdbutton) that it actually does anything, and you'll get the pop-up.

We don't consider this an easter egg, it's just a text info view that also acts as a button to pop up some information. Due to space in phone apps, real estate is used quite often for information and for action. A convention in iOS and Androids is that things on the action bar can be tapped.

As to documenting... they are just another thing to maintain when we are trying to create an app that you just use without needing detailed instructions. I'm focusing documentation on process stuff, and as little as we can get away with, so maintenance of it doesn't swamp us.

Reminder... Volunteer effort... I triage every day. If we didn't perfectly describe a relatively minor feature, it happens.

Hidden functions...This isn't one, but they are common in all apps.

There are hidden functions in PractiScore. As there are in 99.9% of every App out there. App developers need them due to the way Apple limits distribution and due to the compact screens that don't just let us put up menus / buttons all over like we might on a PC. So we put stuff in for debugging, for us to try at beta testers, and to get into special modes for helping users. Apple and Android have systems for telling you what data or permissions an app needs, and the hidden functions work within those constraints.

But this isn't a hidden function... it's just there to use, but out of the way since it isn't commonly used.

Ken N.

It's hidden if nobody knows it's there and nothing on the screen indicates it's there and nobody tells us it's there, and people who know a hell of a lot more about android than I have to stumble across it by accident, exactly like an easter egg hunt. It's absolutely hidden.

Well I'm glad to now know about this gem. It will come in handy as we notoriously have one squad that seems to take much longer then all the rest at every match. Now I'll be able to quantify if in fact they are slower and by how much.

Bill - do you ever get tired of beating on the guys writing your software for free? Maybe throw in a Thank You every once in a while to mix it up.

Perfect documentation would be great but I like the price the way it is.

Hidden functions...This isn't one, but they are common in all apps.

There are hidden functions in PractiScore. As there are in 99.9% of every App out there. App developers need them due to the way Apple limits distribution and due to the compact screens that don't just let us put up menus / buttons all over like we might on a PC. So we put stuff in for debugging, for us to try at beta testers, and to get into special modes for helping users. Apple and Android have systems for telling you what data or permissions an app needs, and the hidden functions work within those constraints.

Tell me all of the features in Practiscore, hidden or just not commonly known, and I'll take first crack at some docs for them. If there's stuff that's beta tester only knowledge let me know that and I won't include that in docs but as a user and beta tester and computer geek I'd like to know all of the cool features of the software.

...And also for that matter, the change log contained within the app itself. (How many people know THAT exists? On the main screen screen, tap on the version/release number line that appears just below the 'change match' cmdbutton. For whatever reason, you'll have to tap on it anywhere from 1 to a dozen times or more to get it to come up, by the way.)

Jesus, Bill... it is used to be a long tap and it had been replaced to regular tap in one of the last versions. This feature been there for several years and it would require major UI restructuring to make it more obvious. It always been in todo list, but you'd be the first to cry if iOS app UI don't look the same as Android version, so given other stuff, it never became a priority.

Tell me all of the features in Practiscore, hidden or just not commonly known, and I'll take first crack at some docs for them. If there's stuff that's beta tester only knowledge let me know that and I won't include that in docs but as a user and beta tester and computer geek I'd like to know all of the cool features of the software.

Thanks Zack, I was trying to convince Ken to create a community-edited wiki pages for PractiScore, but he is somewhat skeptical about that.

Anyways, the only "hidden feature" in Android app is an URL handler for psc:<First Name>:<Last Name>:<Division>:<PF>, which allows to use QRcodes for competitor registration. I've posted about it at http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144925&page=50#entry1989647

All other stuff is pretty much in the plain sight, you just have to look at the application action bar on the top, e.g. sort, search/filter, share actions are all there in various parts of the app.

Eugene, thanks!

I have a 6 hour road trip tomorrow so I'll have lots of time for poking around in the application looking for stuff :).

Quick question regarding Android version - do you guys plan to support Android 4.1 for the foreseeable future? We're looking at saving some buck and buying Android 4.1 Nexus tables versus the new Nexus 7 tablets.

...And also for that matter, the change log contained within the app itself. (How many people know THAT exists? On the main screen screen, tap on the version/release number line that appears just below the 'change match' cmdbutton. For whatever reason, you'll have to tap on it anywhere from 1 to a dozen times or more to get it to come up, by the way.)

Jesus, Bill... it is used to be a long tap and it had been replaced to regular tap in one of the last versions. This feature been there for several years --<snip>

Hehe! Humorous typo, there, "several" years. (No biggie.) Beta version V0.9.14, the first android version of practiscore anyone saw, is date/timestamped May 9th, 2012, less than 2 years ago. Before that, there WAS no android version of practiscore that I know of, and the first apple version had only just appeared in the app store that past January.

"Cry if iOS app ui don't look the same as android.."? (I think you have that backwards maybe? Again, no biggie.) They've never looked the same; they can't look the same when viewed on a nook, which is what we're all using. But just so you know, I have a google nexus 7 now, I'm seeing what you're seeing and to your credit, :bow: the android version of practiscore is a much more polished experience on a real android tablet than it presents itself on a nook. So good job there. Still wish there was a way the controls could be more obvious. iOS 7.1 fixed that problem with the 'button shapes' option, by the way.

But it still takes multiple presses to bring up the change log, I don't know why. Maybe because it's tucked right up underneath the 'change match' cmdbutton? That's just a guess.