Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loose Slide

Merlin Orr

I have a SV factory 38 Super open gun with a loose slide. The gun has about 2000 rounds through it and the slide is quite loose with considerable movement. Is there any way to tighten it without major fuss. I traded for the gun for another Open gun - it was too tight and the previous owner put valve grinding compound on the slide - just before the trade - and overdid the remedy! Din't find out till after the trade. Gun is very nice and looks new but..... :(

Can't trade back because he has already "fixed" the gun I traded to him. :rolleyes:

If you are a DIY'er one of the Wilson Combat Videos from Brownell's covers it pretty well. I think it is the 3rd video.

Basically you "peen" the rails down with a small hammer, then pinch the slide with a vise etc to take out side to side play. There's more too it than that, but it's pretty hard to describe on the internet, once you've seen the video you'll figure it out.

Probably be better if you had a cheaper pistol to practice on, it would be a shame to bust the slide etc on the pistol you have now.

Probably be better if you had a cheaper pistol to practice on, it would be a shame to bust the slide etc on the pistol you have now.

You ever heard the expression "he can f#@K up an anvil." Well, thats me... :D

I will be sending it to someone - not fixing it myself.

As Clint would say - "A man needs to know his limitations." ;) I do.