Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My mags are slowing down the action of my slide...Trojan 9mm

Red Ryder

So it's possible that STI uses a 12lb spring to make sure the gun isn't battered when using factory ammo. But from reading numerous threads here, if you're going to be shooting minor pf reloads, 9lb is the weight to go with.

So it's possible that STI uses a 12lb spring to make sure the gun isn't battered when using factory ammo. But from reading numerous threads here, if you're going to be shooting minor pf reloads, 9lb is the weight to go with.

12# is perfect in my Trojan (5" slide) using standard 115 grain factory 9mm FMJ ammo. I don't reload.

Wolff springs say that Colt's factory sprig for 9mm is 14#, that seems a shade high.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/COLT/1911%20GOV%27T%20PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1

Edited by bountyhunter

• 3 weeks later...

When there's an empty mag inserted in the gun, the slide stop is being pushed up along the bottom edge of the slide. So if you hold onto the slide, depress the slide release, and slowly move the slide toward, the friction will be enough to stop the slide when the takedown notch reaches the slide stop. This only happens with a really light spring of 10lbs or less. If you release the slide normally, it won't do it.

Edited by Postal Bob

• 1 month later...

I had similar problems with my Trojan this weekend. I put a 9lb recoil spring in this week. Everything ran fine at the range with my reloads. Then at a match this weekend, everything fell apart. We shoot at a range that is all dirt and sand. And the winds were blowing pretty solid. There was dust and sand everywhere, including our guns and mags. With the added grit in the slide rails, the 9lb spring was closing the slide only about halfway. I ended putting the 10lb spring back in after 2 stages, along with wiping off the rails. Everything worked after that.

Btw, I saw more gun malfunctions that day, especially in single stack, then I've ever seen in any one day.

• 2 weeks later...

You have two people trying to fix a problem. They both want the mag to ride high. So the mag catch moves the ledge higher. The magazine mfg moves the top of the notch lower. You can fix either one. I would replace the mag release and bring it back to standard height. But it is your $$$$. If you stick with this mag release you are stuck with modifying ALL of your mags .. maybe. It is nice to be able to borrow a mag sometimes and not have a problem.

ed