Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid 9mm load concept

openclassterror

I am not as up to date as I would like to be on comped open gun load theory. I see a lot about 9mm MAJOR for open, but I want to find out what is wrong with another theory. Suppose I shoot 3gun exclusively, and the matches I go to do not stipulate major or minor for scoring. What would be stupid about driving a light bullet (say 95gr) at max velocity, enough to knock down the poppers reliably, with the attendant high pressures and gas velocity to work the comp? Advantage as I see it would be that since velocity is squared when calculating energy, the lighter bullet will give you enough pop to drop the plates with less recoil energy (since slide velocity can be controlled with spring changes), and gas velocity/ volume through the comp can be high without the recoil of a 124+ gr bullet. Also, with the 95gr, bullet is shorter, allowing more case capacity while still fitting in the magazine. What might be suitable powders for this combo, or why am I retarded for suggesting it? Don't be shy if you think it is a dumb idea, as long as you have facts to back up your opinions

Thanks!

Tom

I've done it with 100 grain .380 bullets; maybe 95 geainers are longer, but the trouble I had was getting enough bullet in the case to keep it from setting back and loading long enough to feed reliably. My max OAL on 100 grain bullets was 1.077", I tried some at 1.1" but there wasn't enough bullet left in the case to crimp.

But to answer your question, yes, they're stupid flat being pushed by ten grains of SP2!

I ran out of 100s so I just use 115s now for steel and Major. Last steel match I tried something new: I loaded 115s with 3 grains of Clays and took off the comp. It was very soft and very fast with minimal muzzle flip.

I should clarify: I used the Clays load for static steel, I don't think bit would knock anything down...

Edited by kneelingatlas

I have used lead bullets for practice loads in my XDm at 1.05 OAL, and gotten 100% feed reliability. It is a garbage mouth, and feeds configurations I would never have expected. Currently I use 4.5 gr of Titegroup behind 115s, because that is the powder and bullet combo I have lots of. It takes down the steel poppers, but not with the authority I would enjoy. I gave up on lead for practice because I got tired of cleaning the goop out of the comp. All I have for pistol powder at the moment is Power Pistol, Unique, Titegroup, and 2400. Pretty sure 2400 is not gonna help here! :blush:

Some guys around here use 95 grain bullets and lower powder charge for their 3 Gun open setups, works well. Just need some time to dial it in with the correct recoil spring.