Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Mags

427Cobra

So I'm fixing to make the jump to a 2011 in 9mm, should I buy assembled STI mags and see if they will run, buy a set of tuned mags from say Brazos, or buy all the pieces and put them together myself, and either tune them myself or pay someone to tune my franken-mags?

If you are interested in building your own, I'd recommend Gram's Springs and Followers (11 spring) and Taran 4mm bases (look cool). I did the Grams and Dawson SNL bases on mine. I can get 20 reloadable as long as I use the Gram's Springs and followers.

Stock mags probably work fine too.

If you do decide to go looking for pieces, I have 2 brand new tubes I'm not going to be using any time soon.

If you are interested in building your own, I'd recommend Gram's Springs and Followers (11 spring) and Taran 4mm bases (look cool). I did the Grams and Dawson SNL bases on mine. I can get 20 reloadable as long as I use the Gram's Springs and followers.

Stock mags probably work fine too.

If you do decide to go looking for pieces, I have 2 brand new tubes I'm not going to be using any time soon.

Spacers or No spacers?

Buy tubes, Grams guts and Bolen TT pads. Get it all from Shooter's Connection for the best price if you register as a forum member. Stock STI mags would probably be OK but they will yield the least capacity. Adding the grams followers and springs and aftermarket pads will gain you a few more rounds per mag. You can contact tjs375 on here if you feel you would like to have them polished inside and out, lips adjusted and even witness holes for a very reasonable price. Polishing helps keep them running smooth. When you order the stuff from SC throw in a mag cleaning brush because you need to keep 2011 mags clean all the time. They are not running a glock mag for 5 years without any maintenance.

Call Shooter's Connection and ask for Mike or Barry and they will set you up with the right length springs and base pads for your chosen division. They helped me set my Open mags up and tjs has tuned them and they are absolutely perfect.

I would run steel spacers in them since I run them in mine and I'm loaded all the way out to 1.17 in 9mm. You can leave them loose or silicone them in. tjs375 can trim them to fit perfectly as well.

Well a friend I work with lent me his 5.0 tactical in 45, the pistol only has 20 rounds through it, the trigger feels like s!'t for a 2k investment, come on STI a TEXAS company can do better, I have the knowledge and ability and tools to do trigger jobs on 1911s, on a 600 dollar gun I expect to tweek it, but at 2k-ish the trigger should at least be Springfield TRP good. I'm disappointed to say the least.

I have bought a set of brazos tuned 140mm mags for 40 caliber and they have run flawlessly. I use those in my STI Eagle for USPSA. I also play IDPA with the same STI Eagle and use 126mm stock STI mags and they run flawlessly as well. Depends on what game, purpose, capacity, that you need the mags for.