Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 bullet profiles in sns,bayou, black bullets.....

trp

Ok I've been shooting the sns 180 gr bullets and it seems that the profile of these bullets are a little different then others? I was useing the bear creeks with out any problems besides being dirty,

I loved the bayous in 45 but haven't tried them in 40

Anybody know if any of the company's offering 180 gr with this bayou type coating with the bear creek bullet profile??

Basically I want to keep my load the same, I'm shooting a Trojan and had the barrel reamed and the sns were working but yesterday I was having done troubles, when I was useing the bear creeks I was fine but there really dirty to work with and use

My OAL 1.190

I've been using Ibehijeads (ibejiheads.com) in .40 through a factory G35 barrel. I'm not sure how the bullet profile compares to other brands, but their coating is similar to Bayou's, and does not smell like burning electric parts when you shoot them.

see attached pics

If you look at the bullet profile (shoulder or ogive) you see the shoulder is quite pronounced (not rounded.) The distance from the flat point is shorter than the distance on other bullets.

This is really not about one bullet maker, but seems to be the same accross all the coated 180 bullets. I'm guessing the molds are designed this way.

If you look at the profile of a 180 Montana Gold, Zero, X-treme, Berry, or any copper bullet, the shoulder is rounded and allows you to load longer as they feed easier. The coated bullets are .401 and copper are .400. The pronounced shoulder and .401 requires loading really short.

This does not apply to every barrel out there, but quite a few and may be the mags contribute by positioning the bullet also.

I know--many folks will chime in and say, "I load them at 1.180- 1.200 and have no problem". I am pointing this out to the OP and folks who encounter this problem.

lcs- Very interesting, the bullets I'm using look like your pictures and ran fine in my Tanfoglio with .40 magazines at SAAMI length, then I switched to 10mm mags and 1.23" O.A.L. cartridges and they have been flawless also, but I never tried any OALs in the middle of that range.

see attached pics

Thanks that what the black bullets are as well according to the email I got I'm guessing the sns are the same, I think the bear creeks must be a rounder edge?.