Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI magazine question

SWprotected

I am new to the 2011 pistols and on the advice of others have bought parts and assembled mags instead of buying the stock magazines. I have STI 140mm tubes, Grams spring and follower and the Dawson +1 base pads. My concern is that on two of the mags after assembly the follower is about to pop out of the top of the mag. I have measured the feedlips they are .385 at the front. The follower is high enough that it engages the slide lock w/1 round left in the mag. I am not really understanding what is going on here, any suggestions?

I am new to the 2011 pistols and on the advice of others have bought parts and assembled mags instead of buying the stock magazines. I have STI 140mm tubes, Grams spring and follower and the Dawson +1 base pads. My concern is that on two of the mags after assembly the follower is about to pop out of the top of the mag. I have measured the feedlips they are .385 at the front. The follower is high enough that it engages the slide lock w/1 round left in the mag. I am not really understanding what is going on here, any suggestions?

This is normal. Most people just trim the follower to disable the slide lock.

Okay the tubes are stock front to rear measurement is 1.370" , side to side measurement was okay as well from what I read on other threads here. The rear of the feed lips were 0.380" to 0.382" depending on the way I moved the caliper. When insert the mag into the pistol there is a lot of resistance. The other 2 mags seem to work fine and the followers are slightly lower. I have read most of the mag tuning threads on here and it seems these are in spec. but it looks like the followers could easily pop out of the top.

I find the mags fit with a lot less (no) resistance with a front to back dimension of 1.360 (this helps with capacity a little as well).

These feed lips are 0.385 (front & back) - followers have never popped out and I haven't experienced any feed issues. Followers have been trimmed to not lock the slide back.

mags.jpg

Okay the tubes are stock front to rear measurement is 1.370" , side to side measurement was okay as well from what I read on other threads here. The rear of the feed lips were 0.380" to 0.382" depending on the way I moved the caliper. When insert the mag into the pistol there is a lot of resistance. The other 2 mags seem to work fine and the followers are slightly lower. I have read most of the mag tuning threads on here and it seems these are in spec. but it looks like the followers could easily pop out of the top.

Keep in mind not all mags hold the same number of rounds even if they are built identical. Two of my three big sticks hold 28 easy and reload fine too but the other one will only hold 27 and a half and it is pretty tight at that. Of all my 140's they are sort of half and half. Some hold 22 and some hold 23. I load them all to 22 to keep from having to keep track of all of them. All my mags are built with identical parts and spec out the same too