Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help, need a reloading bench temp

Krull

Recently moved into a rental house with no garage and since it is a rental I am unable to bolt a bench to the wall. What have people used that has worked for a 650 with the Case Feed? I have two shooters in the house so reloading is really needed.

This is also a temp solution until we move into a new house.

Any help would be great.

Thank you

i think a great solution would be to get one of the black and decker workmate benches, (sawhorse type bench) or a metal tool stand for a drill or table saw.

look in the forum, realoading benches for more ideas.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5485

good luck,

lynn

p.s. welcome to the foums.

Edited by lynn jones

There is a guy in our club who uses a 2x12 and some clamps to secure his 550 to his computer desk. I have a 650, and I think the casefeed assembly makes it a little top heavy for this application. Maybe you can use part of the idea. Also, Sear's has some small benches that could be weighted down with lead or sandbags that would also work.

you gan do the spacking thing. I'm using one of the black and decker benches with a modification.

Tooka couple sheets of 3/4" MDF and made a sandwich that from the side looks kind of like an I. (two full sized slab for the top, one spacer that clamps in the jaws, and one slab that is a couple inched wider than teh spacer to make it impossible to pull out.) The work surface is abotu 24x30 and the three slabs of MDF adds a good deal of mass to keep it from wobbling to much. But I don't have a 650 with case feeder attached. The case feeder being on the side away form the handle would probably make it even more stable at least while the hopper was full.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably cut the table surface back some as it really is more space than I need for working, and a sizeable flat surface isn't exactly real useful for organizing the related accessories and stuff. The added stability would eb abonus, and it would likely let me put a waste basket on the foot rest to catch runaway spent primers more reliably than I can now.

I’ve been using a Black and Decker workmate with a 1050 while temporarily in an apartment. I attached 2x12 to the top and put a little weight (1k heads) on the step and it was plenty solid for a couple of months.

Shepard

Even though I'm in a rental unit, I chose to do the bolt-to-the-wall thing (in a closet) because it was so darn secure. Having formerly worked with sheetrock and all it takes to get it up, get it taped and get it plastered and painted, I'm not too afraid of the three liittle holes I'll need to fill when the bolts are removed. No biggie.

But I like the clamps-and-2x12 concept, too. It's 2x12 we used for my working surface. But if all of you are reloading, you might rather want to set up something (bolts or not) that will be a dedicated place for reloadin' and not have to disassemble it every time you quit.

I had a similar problem when I was stationed in Guam. I lived in the baracks and never wanted to ask the question about reloading or keeping firearms. I took my toolbox roll away cabinet (bottom). I reinforced the top surface with a piece of 3/4 plywood. I then bolted my 650 to that using large diameter washers and wing nuts. The tool box had enough weight to make it secure because all of my tools and reloading components were inside. After I was done I simply wheeled it into the closet as is (650 and all). If I had reason to believe there would be a detailed inspection I'd unbolt the press and put it in the car. The lower drawers and shelf locked so they never seen what was in it and never had reason to ask. Perfect for the apartment and a nosey landlord.