Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issues with 147 gr bayou

PSSOH22

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this but I figured I would get more answers from guys using this bullet in a 1911.

I just switched from 124/125 to 147's from bayou which are a flat nose. At first I suspected it wast he magazines but after more research, now I'm stumped. With a full Tripp research mag inserted the first round is nose diving into the feed ramp from slide lock. If I sling shot the slide from closed chamber, the majority will chamber. Once I get a round to chamber it feeds fine.

I had my OAL set to 1.135. I just ran a batch at 1.150 to test tomorrow to see if any longer will chamber better. However, at that length, a loaded round will not eject smoothly from my shield.

I had always heard that the tripps were the best mags for 9mm and after talking to a few people, now I am hearing that the Dawson's should cure my problems. I spoke with Aaron at Tripp today and he mentioned to apply a small amount of pressure to the bottom of the mag while releasing the slide stop. 3 out of 5 worked this way and all I believe at the longer length worked.

The 124's cycld fine.

So my conclusions are as follows:

Send mags to Tripp

Ditch mags and get Dawson's

Bad springs

Bad feed lips

Egw mag catch( recommended by Tripp)

147 fn just don't run reliably through 1911?

I am completely stumped now. Can anyone chime in with their experience?

FYI the 1 Wilson mag I have worked fine, but the reasons I'm wanting to use the tripps is because I have a. Tech well magwell for that gun but I guess I could always buy the smaller one that doesn't require Tripp mags w their bigger base pad. Please help!!!!

I would suspect an EGW raised mag catch would help. This seems to help with the same issue with 40 cal 1911s.

It's on my list of things to buy for my Trojan 40, it has the same issue with the first round nose diving if I load 9. It runs fine with 8 in the mag, using Tripp 10 round "Corey" mags.

Edited by bthoefer

Do you still have the factory mag to test against?

I do still have the factory mag. However I had issues with it right out of the box. Like I mentioned previously, the wc mag worked fine. I only have 1 though because I bought the tripps when I switched to the tech well. I am going to focus on seeing the reliability of the wc mag and the ammo tomm

I use 135gr RN for just this reason. you can get 147's to work, but is it worth the effort?

This. I had a hard time with the 147s also. My Storm Lake barrel runs a little tight in the chamber, and that was my issue. Failure to go into battery on some rounds, etc. I use Tripps BTW. I ended up running @ 1.125 or slightly shorter, and, after going to a case guage (rather than the barrel) most problems went away. I now run 135gr and use the 1.125 COL. Works fine... Loved the way the 147s shot tho!!

Maybe the difference in reliability in feeding 147gr between 1911s and 2011s are the mags. I have zero issues with 147gr. I have run them as short as 1.115 out to 1.150 with no issues in my 2011. As a side note, I'm running bone stock 126mm mags.

1911's like oil so a drop on the feed ramp and opposite the extractor behind the ejector. Check extractor tension. Put an Aftec extractor in my pistol, money was well spent, runs great. A very slight bend on the magazine spring up just under the nose of the follower may help. Dies, I've seen several S-I pistols that wouldn't run start running by going to the Lee U die or at least a standard Lee carbide set. At present running a standard Lee sizing die, a Lee seating die and a Dillon crimp die. My Trojan does not like ammo loaded short and I try for 1.145 to 1.150. Lee's sizing die will size a little tighter and closer to the extractor groove than other brands. For a few bucks you can send Lee a bullet and they will make an insert for the seating die that fits the shape of your bullet. I had a flat one made local and load bullet's from 115gn to 160gn with good results.

I like Wilson magazines and remove two coils from the base of the magazine spring mine are older bought them when they first came out. Don't keep buying magazines though till you checked other issues. Any quality magazine should work.

With the slide removed from the pistol check to see with pressure on an inserted magazine if it's hitting the ejector, if so a small amount of material needs to be removed from the base of the ejector or it will break. The fix for my pistol was a 38/40 ejector and it needed a small amount taken off the bottom of the extractor. You should see daylight between the extractor and the magazine with pressure on the magazine.

Springs can also be an issue. Buy a set of recoil spring in 9, 10 and 12 pound weight's along with a 15 and 17 pound mainspring.

Took a lot of testing my gun settled on a 15 pound mainspring and a 10 pound recoil. everyone's grip and load is varied but your pistol should run fine on one of the springs in the set. I have the stock fire control part's with a trigger job and the same 15 pound mainspring had been in the gun for three years no issues with Winchester Small Pistol Primers. Check the 1911 store for springs.

Polish the feed ramp and the chamber, don't try and remove metal just make it bright can be done with Q Tips and Simichrome polish. If you don't get a fine oil spray on the first shot you didn't put enough oil on the pistol!

Most 1911/2011 need a little tuning out of the box but once set will hold and are a blast to shoot. Try the inexpensive fixes first.

I use 135gr RN for just this reason. you can get 147's to work, but is it worth the effort?

This. I had a hard time with the 147s also. My Storm Lake barrel runs a little tight in the chamber, and that was my issue. Failure to go into battery on some rounds, etc. I use Tripps BTW. I ended up running @ 1.125 or slightly shorter, and, after going to a case guage (rather than the barrel) most problems went away. I now run 135gr and use the 1.125 COL. Works fine... Loved the way the 147s shot tho!!

I so far, have had the exact opposite results in my SS. I cannot get a round to chamber at 1.135. Unless i apply a little pressure to the bottom of the magazine the 1.150's will not feed either. The rounds at 1.135 were not cycling the gun, however, once I got the 1.150's to chamber the gun ran fine. I do agree with you on the 2011's though. My buddy, Morgan Allen, runs his 9mm's extremely short!

I just went through the same headache. 1911 SS 9MM are a PITA!!!!!!! BUT once you find the problem they run great.

Remember a 1911 was designed for round nose 45 military ball bullets. If your barrel has a feed ramp, load short and use round nose bullets.

124 round nose (with right powder) is just as, or softer than 147 loads. Cheaper also!

124 round nose (with right powder) is just as, or softer than 147 loads.

If you're loading range plinkers, sure. But if you have to make a PF, it's common knowledge that a heavier bullet with a faster powder will provide a softer recoil pulse.

If you're loading range plinkers, sure. But if you have to make a PF, it's common knowledge that a heavier bullet with a faster powder will provide a softer recoil pulse.

And that means exactly nothing if the gun don't like 'em. As to your argument, I and lcs have ran about every combination of bullet there is in minor and major. 124's are a very good bullet and if loaded right are plenty soft. Many have gone to 147's in search of recoil resembling a BB gun only to come back to 124's. If time is spent working up 124 loads they are plenty soft.

I agree with you but 124's aren't bad... The big problem is I just purchased 8k 147's because I wanted to start taking advantage of all the benefits.

After some more shooting and research, it really does look like it is a magazine issue. The sti mag and Wilson feeds the rounds fine, it's just the tripps that nose dive. It just seems like the followers are too short in comparison to the others mentioned. What's weird is that I never had an issue until now when switching to the 147's. I understand the bullet profile is different but it's just weird because the 147's look like there lined up w the chamber and then just dive bomb?

No they are not new. Springs were my first assumption but Aaron at Tripp said that first round FTf is primarily due to feed lips or needs a raised mag catch from egw if I want to run their mags.

I am probably going to get the mag catch just to try it out. It can't hurt. I may just get some more Wilson or Dawson mags.

I could switch ammo as well but I don't know if I see the point when it is clearly a magazine issue considering the wc and sti mags ate up the 147's

First, I don't waste people's time by posting range plinking ammo stats. Waste of my time and yours.

I had every 9mm mag known to man and it was not any mag. I have been down your road before. May be I can save you a lot of frustration, try loading the 147 real short(adjust load accordingly) and you might get them to run. I still bet you will get FTF. 147 feed great in other type guns. I've used Bayou and they are great bullets.

I wish you the best of luck. Remember, you said 124 ran great.

First, I don't waste people's time by posting range plinking ammo stats. Waste of my time and yours.

Sorry for the poor assumption. No offense was meant.

I've shot quite a bit of 124gr and I agree that it's a great round. It was my go to bullet for some time. The 147gr started as an experiment along with 150gr from Bayou. I really enjoyed the 147gr with Clays, more so than the 124gr. While it does cost more per 1k, I save a pinch of powder in the exchange. Bullets I can find, Clays, not so much.

Robert, I hope you're able to use the 147s with success. It's a great bullet but doesn't do you much good if you can't find the sweet spot for reliable feeding. If I hadn't just placed an order with Bayou yesterday, I'd make you an offer on your remaining bullets. Best of luck.

Sorry for the poor assumption. No offense was meant.

I've shot quite a bit of 124gr and I agree that it's a great round. It was my go to bullet for some time. The 147gr started as an experiment along with 150gr from Bayou. I really enjoyed the 147gr with Clays, more so than the 124gr. While it does cost more per 1k, I save a pinch of powder in the exchange. Bullets I can find, Clays, not so much.

Robert, I hope you're able to use the 147s with success. It's a great bullet but doesn't do you much good if you can't find the sweet spot for reliable feeding. If I hadn't just placed an order with Bayou yesterday, I'd make you an offer on your remaining bullets. Best of luck.

I appreciate the response. I'm not too worried. I'm going to buy the egw mag catch and a few Dawson mags and see how theat changes everything. If i don't get good reliability after that I will just reserve the 124/125's that I have now for the 1911 and shoot the 147's out of my glocks and EMP.