Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airlines - Connection cheaper than direct

CZinSC

Trying to book a flight from Greenville, SC to Newark, NJ in April.

Greenville to Charlotte to Newark = $295

Charlotte to Newark direct ( keep in mind it's the same exact flights as the one above, just without the Greenville leg ) = $921.

Even though its a 90 minute drive from home, it's far easier to drive to Charlotte to fly direct and not worry about delayed flights on connections. But noooooooo...the airline doesn't want me to do that.

I ran into the same dilemma a few years back flying into Houston from VA. They wanted $495 from Roanoke to Houston, but if I drove to Nashville, about 7 hours, it dropped to $187. I'll drive that time for a $300 savings any time! Yours would be a much better deal. Also have to figure in the parking fees involved and for how long.

Alan~^~

I remember going up to Kansas City many years ago - for the last Kansas City Indoor Match - that it was cheaper on Southwest Airline to fly from DFW to Houston and then from Houston to K.C. than to go from DFW to KCI. Weird reasoning by most airlines !!!

(Not to mislead anyone, Southwest could not - Wright Amendment - fly direct to KC from Dallas. The direct flight was on another airline, which was the least expensive of several, all of which were considerably more expensive than the SW two stage flight. Fortunately for everyone the Wright Amendment ends this year.)

Edited by Steve RA

Flights put of GSP and AVL get subsidized by the federal government as they are considered rural airports. This accounts for a fair amount of the cost different........

Plus I think US Airways is trying to kick Southwest's ass. Southwest came to GSP with their low low fares...that lasted a couple of months, now they are as high or higher than anyone else. What a sham. "You are now free to move about the country.....as long as you pay higher fares than everyone else".

True... I fly out of GSP and AVL enough to know flights connect thru the same airport for both paths and often are cheaper from one or the other... Many times I just pick the better timed flight.... A 730 GSP flight is a 4 am wake up... A 730 AVL flight is a 5:30 AM wake up for me as AVL is a 25 min drive and parking is easier...