Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cerakote an sti 2011?

3djedi

The bluing on my 2011 is worn off and scuffed from holster wear. I was wondering if anyone has tried cerakote on their 2011 and how well it is holding up. I have this urge to do mine in flat dark earth!

If you have any pictures of yours I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Ceracoat will hold up about as well as bluing. It will wear off on the areas that rub in your holster and the corners. It will look better while doing it though.

If you are going to use a paint type product, plan on doing it once a year or couple of years anyway. Chrome, any of the nitride processes, or the like will last longer and not require upkeep like ceracoat.

If your gun is in a racemaster type of holster it will last much longer than a full kydex as well.

Is cerakote a spray on type of product? I was thinking is was something harder like a baked on finish or something.

What is a harder finish that won't wear off quickly and has colors?

Check out the IonBond DLC offered by Springer Precision.

Ceracoat will hold up about as well as bluing. It will wear off on the areas that rub in your holster and the corners. It will look better while doing it though.

If you are going to use a paint type product, plan on doing it once a year or couple of years anyway. Chrome, any of the nitride processes, or the like will last longer and not require upkeep like ceracoat.

If your gun is in a racemaster type of holster it will last much longer than a full kydex as well.

2184E50C-3FA6-45C4-A093-7EF9EB7F153F.jpg

5DA04076-0C18-4336-9214-782C8C7575E2.jpg

I would say it wears. ALOT better than bluing. Both of those guns where done in 2011. The only wear on the 1911 is ATT he tri top points where I torque the gun out if the holster a bit. The shadow has a bit on the slide corner and a bit by the rail. That's after lord only knows how many dry fire draws and rounds. It's more than just spray on...

It's not cerakote, but I have had coated a 2011 and this 1911 in moly resin. The 1911 pictured is built as tight as any custom 2011. I just don't have a good pic of the 2011. Both guns run fine after plating. Just have to be careful in re-assembly on tight guns. Really oil them up good and be gentle on initial assembly. Once together, work the slide several times. Then you can wipe some of the oil off and go shoot.

Ion bond is the best stuff going. I have it done on my 1911 and it's amazing. My 2011 is cera koted. Be aware that whoever does it may apply it thick and you can have to do some minor refitting of slide and frame depending on how tight your gun is.

Edited by APL-G35

• 2 weeks later...

I have an STI Eagle that the slide has been Ceracoated on. It is wearing at the muzzle, but the rest of it is still looking good. It gets drawn from a full kydex holster. It is holding up better than bluing.

Hurley

Cerakote is a spray on coat. There are two types as far as I know. The heat treated and the non-heat treated. The heat treated version is more durable. It specifies which type it is on the label and on their site. It's very durable for a spray on finish. One great thing about Cerakote is, because it is a spray on finish, it can hide imperfections in the frame/slide. If you have any when Ionbond/DLC finish a gun, you'll be living with them. Unlike Ionbond/DLC/TiN/PVD/hard chrome finishes, the Cerakote will make the gun tighter due to the thickness of the finish as I think someone previously stated. If you do the rails, it may be difficult to fit the slide to frame until the coat wears off.