Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock Build Sheet? Am I on the right track?

bryanbag

I hope this the right section to post this.

I have been bitten by the Open Division bug. I was able to shoot a buddy's Open Glock and STI this past weekend. Now I want one for myself.
Since the STI is out of reach at this time, I want to build/have built an Open Division Glock. I started putting a build list together. This is what I have so far. Am I on the right track?

1. KKM Barrel and Comp
2. SJC Red Dot Mount
3. SJC Mag Well
4. C-More Red Dot
5. TTI Extended Base Pads
6. Glockworx Guide Rod and Springs
7. Slide Racker
Is there anything I am missing or should switch?

Also, Since I will be shooting Major PF, I am not sure which weight springs to go with. Through all the searching, I'm finding that 14lb spring is mostly used for Major Loads but I have seen them as high as 16lb and as low as 12. What is the average weight spring being used.

As of right now I am shooting a 115g RN bullet. I will be switching to a 147g bullet soon.

With the 115g RN bullet and Titegroup Powder, What would you use (powder charge) to make the correct PF.

Stick with 115 or 124 grain bullets and don't try to make major with titegroup and 147. You want a light bullet and a slow powder with a lot of gas like hs6 or autocomp. Loading for 9mm major with a comp is totally different from anything else out there. For a comp go with the sjc 11 port

Edited by EkuJustice

EkuJustice, Thanks for the info. Now why the SJC 11 port comp over the KKM comp (Looks to be a 4 port comp)? I'm guess the amount of ports make that much of a difference.

TruStreet, 10lb spring for Major? That seam kind of low. My Springer 9mm 1911 only uses a 9lb spring from the factory. Please explain.

I run a 14 lb spring for 9 major and an 11 lb when shooting factory. I chose the sjc 5 port over their 11 port in order to shoot minor loads on steel. If you are only shooting major the 11 might be better. I have the sjc mount also but had Bobby Carver lower the ejection port. Zero ejection problems. Sjc comps are lighter also.

As for loads, hs-6 or auto comp are the benchmarks. I run a 124 precision delta jhp over 8.0 grn of hs-6. Start low with this powder and work up using a chronograph, lots of hs-6 vary. Lots 2219 and 2223 are notibly slow. My shooting partner only loads 7.6 to get the same pf. My oal is 1.150 but max for a glock mag is 1.160. Stay with a bullet that is completely jacketed to reduce leading in the comp.

Don't forget trigger. There are several out there. I did the .25 cent job with a few extras but left springs alone as I have a lot of Tula primers that I want to go off.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good thing about a glock is if you don't like something, change it.

1. KKM Barrel and Comp - do the SJC 11 port or the larger Carver Comp

2. SJC Red Dot Mount - DONT! I did it to mine, I liked it, but now the frame is done. Use the Carver

3. SJC Mag Well - Good Choice

4. C-More Red Dot - Great

5. TTI Extended Base Pads - Yep, but you will need Taylor Freelance for your 170mm mags.

6. Glockworx Guide Rod and Springs - doesn't matter what guide rod you use, I would get a tungsten.

7. Slide Racker - SJC or Carver

I built a Open G17 the middle of 2012, it ran 100%. I won a lot of matches with that gun, & beat some well know shooters.

I ran MG 124 JHP over AutoComp, if I still had my Glock I would use HS6 (if you can find it!)

Edited by shooter995

I hope this the right section to post this.

I have been bitten by the Open Division bug. I was able to shoot a buddy's Open Glock and STI this past weekend. Now I want one for myself.

Since the STI is out of reach at this time, I want to build/have built an Open Division Glock. I started putting a build list together. This is what I have so far. Am I on the right track?

1. KKM Barrel and Comp

2. SJC Red Dot Mount

3. SJC Mag Well

4. C-More Red Dot

5. TTI Extended Base Pads

6. Glockworx Guide Rod and Springs

7. Slide Racker

Also, Since I will be shooting Major PF, I am not sure which weight springs to go with. Through all the searching, I'm finding that 14lb spring is mostly used for Major Loads but I have seen them as high as 16lb and as low as 12. What is the average weight spring being used.

As of right now I am shooting a 115g RN bullet. I will be switching to a 147g bullet soon.

With the 115g RN bullet and Titegroup Powder, What would you use (powder charge) to make the correct PF.

The thing I noticed that you did not list is anything to do with the trigger.

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.

Looks like I pretty much had things chosen correctly for the most part, Just a few small changes.

Going to switch to the SJC 11 port comp.

Possibly switch to the Carver Red Dot Mount.

JackinSD, I have the Glockworx's Fulcrum trigger already installed. so that covered.

I got the Home G34 build kit SJC sells over the winter, easy to put togather. Added Pryamid trigger, talyor lance extt mags (26) joey Hardy Blast shild to hold the c-more on the SJC mount, with their mount you won't need to have the ejecter lowerd ... 11 lb spring with two coils cut off, once I got spring right IT RUNS 100%..... Broke it in good over 3000 rounds.

I make a 9mm 124g FMJ over 6.7g of IMR sr7625 makes 173 avg PF..... Last year I shot stock....Going to run it's First Match this Saterday.

Do it your self and save some $$ ....... GOOD LUCK.......

post-51591-0-18427200-1392867536_thumb.j

Thanks for all the info guys, keep it coming.

Looks like I pretty much had things chosen correctly for the most part, Just a few small changes.

Going to switch to the SJC 11 port comp.

Possibly switch to the Carver Red Dot Mount.

JackinSD, I have the Glockworx's Fulcrum trigger already installed. so that covered.

The major pf sjc comp is overkill for the 9mm, the major pf carver comp is much better. The sjc mount will give you more holster options as to where the carver mount can only be used with the modified cr speed holster.

The carver requires a modified cr speed holster. The sjc allows the ghost race master etc to be used. The sjc is a perminent modification but if you don't plan on switching back it's the way to go or if you sell it you almost need to sell it complete

I got the Home G34 build kit SJC sells over the winter, easy to put togather. Added Pryamid trigger, talyor lance extt mags (26) joey Hardy Blast shild to hold the c-more on the SJC mount, with their mount you won't need to have the ejecter lowerd ... 11 lb spring with two coils cut off, once I got spring right IT RUNS 100%..... Broke it in good over 3000 rounds.

I make a 9mm 124g FMJ over 6.7g of IMR sr7625 makes 173 avg PF..... Last year I shot stock....Going to run it's First Match this Saterday.

Do it your self and save some $$ ....... GOOD LUCK.......

Thanks for the info. Once I made the above post about the Carver Mount, I seen it required the CR Speed to be modded. I'm not grinding on my holster. So I'm changing again to the SJC Mount.

Thanks for the load info

If you don't have a holster yet, Carver sells a modified CR Speed. That's what I bought for my open Glock. It's not as nice as some holsters, but I still like it.

I already have 2 CR Speed rigs and holsters. 1 for my Glock and 1 for my 1911.