Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCW Pmag coupler/doubler question. (Gen 3 version)

cas

I'm taking about the coupler to put the mags base to base and double the capacity. Hoping someone can help me with this. I have two questions:

Do the doubled mags actually touch inside the coupler or is there a gap?

Can someone with a Gen 3 version measure the width for me? I guess what I'm after would actually be the height? (up and down wise, not side to side.)

What I'm wondering is if I could couple a 10 round mag. Eyeballing it there may not be enough room for it without it hitting the magwell and I'd rather not drop $50 just to find out.

Edited by cas

You are looking at the cost of the coupler ($45) plus the cost of two magazines to make one really long magazine. I believe these will usually hold between 50 and 60 rounds when assembled.

In my case, I'll couple two 30 round Pmags side by side for 60 rounds and it just the right length to use as a monopod. If I want more rounds, I guess I'd take two 40 rd Pmags and couple them for less dollars.

Another option is the Nordic Comp extension that will take you out to 48 rds.

And why would you want to couple two 10 rds mags together when you can just buy a Pmag 20 rd magazine for under $20.

I'm not trying to bash CCW's product but don't see the advantage. If someone else can enlighten me, I'm more than willing to listen.

He lives in NY

I'm not familiar with New York law. Would a end to end be any more legal than two magzines coupled side to side? For side to side, both the Magpul and the Arredondo couplers look like they will work with the 10 rd magazines and still clear the mag well.

Bill

CORRECTION: What I thought was a 10 rd magazine is actually a 20 rd mag. So I do not know if the 10 would work or not.

I measured the Arredondo couple and it is right at 1/2" so I guess it depends on how close to the bottom of a 1 rd magazine you can mount it.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

We always had pre-bans… now we don't. Last year we had to load to 10, but could still use the pre-bans. This year we can't.

I have 30 round Lancers and Pmags blocked to 10 for local stuff, no problems there. (much easier to manipulate than the stubby 10's)

For out of state matches, other than borrowing stuff…. the options are to keep some felonious full cap mags stashed away just for that, which I wouldn't want to do. (cough)

Or, as I noticed, two 10 round Pmags butt to butt are the same size as one 30 round mag. (lightbulb)

(or take a 30, saw the feed lips end off and cap it, making it legally "nothing." Then couple that with a 10 out of state for a 40+ round mag.

Thing is, there isn't a whole heck of a lot of room for the coupler.

6_photo.JPG

Sure I could modify the magwell to make room, but I was looking for a simple (all be it not the cheapest) legal work around not just for myself but for others.

Edited by cas

Two 10's would get us at around 27-28 rounds I'd guess. Coupled with a cut off body, who knows.

7_photo.JPG

FWIW…. for those in enemy territory, as you know, since the mag is blocked you can't take them apart to clean them. These have two large holes drilled in the sides of them before they were blocked and glued, so at least I can flush them well. The Magpul is just to cover the holes and keep the sand out.

What about putting ranger floor plates on two or your 10rdrs, make a spacer that seperates them at the ranger plates and run a fastener through the ranger plates and the spacer.

Basically you make your own coupler. The extended part of the ranger plate might get you down far enough to avoid removing material from the magwell.

You might even be able to make the spacer extend past the bottom of the ranger plates to give you something proper to grab onto when changing mags

Does that make sense?

No? :D

I'm not trying to couple tens, that's easy enough to do.

I'm trying to assemble a 30-40 round mag out of state, with parts I can legally posses in state.

Edited by cas

Pretty sure that would be illegal as the NY SAFE act covers converting magazine. I don't think this would be a good idea unless the zombie apocalypse is in full swing.

(8) Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device.
FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SUBDIVISION, A LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING
DEVICE SHALL NOT INCLUDE AN AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE LAWFULLY POSSESSED
BY SUCH PERSON BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF
TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH AMENDED THIS SUBDIVISION, THAT HAS A CAPACITY
OF, OR THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO ACCEPT MORE THAN
SEVEN BUT LESS THAN ELEVEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION, OR THAT WAS MANUFACTURED
BEFORE SEPTEMBER THIRTEENTH, NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETY-FOUR, THAT
HAS A CAPACITY OF, OR THAT CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO
ACCEPT, MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION; OR

Well right now I can glue the 10 round P-mags end to end and achieve the same thing. So they're already illegal in that case.

Breaking the base plate tabs off aluminum 10 round mag, i can tape them end to end, so they're illegal too. As written, any magazine is illegal.

The law is nonsense. There is no gun or magazine that is permanent or can not be converted. There are tens of thousands of DEWAT rewelds floating around, proving that welding them together or cutting them in half isn't even permanent. Almost nothing is permanent.

The Pedersen device converts bolt actions to semi automatic. Anything can be converted.

Edited by cas