Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 not locking up when I cock it?

Koppi

If when cocking SA it rotates but the cylinder stop isn't locking the cylinder, but when doing it DA it does, then you need a new hand.

You can get Oversized Hand and fit it. Brownells makes a special file to open the window.

If it's an 8 shot you will need to replicate the notch in the hand, if it's a newer 6 shot (older ones have pins aligning the star/ratchet and they also need to be fit for length, you will just need to make the hand thicker.

In worse case scenarios you could end up needing to replace the star/ratchet. Not as bad a job as it looks either.

Here is the question, when I cock it, it doesn't rotate to lock up. when I shoot double action it locks up.

Do I need to get some new parts or what?

The failure mode is called "carry up", in this case single action carry up. If the gun was OK at one time and gradually developed it, it is wear on several critical areas. The fix is typically done by fitting a new (wider) hand. In extreme cases you need a new extractor as well, not typical.

If the gun is relatively low mileage and does not carry up..... I will refrain from going into what I think of SW's quality control. If it has been well used (like 20k rounds ballpark), it's pretty normal. all Sw's gradually develop carry up failure over time due to wear.

Edited by bountyhunter

If when cocking SA it rotates but the cylinder stop isn't locking the cylinder, but when doing it DA it does, then you need a new hand.

You can get Oversized Hand and fit it. Brownells makes a special file to open the window.

In all the cases I have done, never needed to file the window. It wears too and when they get worn enough to need fixing, the wide hand typically fits through the window no problem.

Fitting a hand is not real difficult, but probably better left for a gunsmith since he can also balance the ratchets at the same time to equalize the carry up on all cylinder locations.