Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon and primer mag detonations

I have read on here where guys experienced primer mag detonations on 650's and 1050's.

I haven't seen any mention of kabooms on 550's.

Is there something different on 650's and 1050's that makes this posable and 550's safer ?

There is a 550 on my bench. That's why I ask.

The 550 takes a primer from the drop tube and slides it under the plate which is probably around 2 inches from the tube.

The 650 has a disc with holes very close together that turns from the drop tube around to the plate. Primers are in much closer proximity to each other as well as the tube. When one gets detonated it tends to cause a chain reaction which is instantaneous.

I've loaded many tens of thousands of rounds on 650's, 550,s and a Square Deal with a few mangled primers but no brown shorts causing detonations. What to look for? Be vigilant! Learn the feel of the machine, listen to what's going on. If something feels or sounds odd see what's causing it. Keep the priming system clean. Use the correct primer magazine tube and disc. Don't muscle the machine...finesse it.

For the love of Mike... we're working with explosives!

I'm in NO way saying that the folks who have had primer detonations were lackadaisical, but I am saying pay attention!

Pat

Any progressive machine, not just Dillon, can have a primer explosion.

First, Federal primers are more sensitive, more likely to detonate than other brands. Be gentle when seating them.

Operate the handle smoothly in both directions, and feel the primer seat into the case.Slamming the handle is more common than users care to admit. If handle effort feels different,stop and determine why before forcing anything. We see lots of shellplates damaged by decap pin strikes into the edge of the case pocket, or on the underside from primer seating punch impacts damaging it as well. Often this is due to slamming the handle trying to operate the loader too fast.

Inspect your brass. There is a lot of small primer pocket 45ACP brass, crimped primer pockets in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP, 223, 308.You need to learn headstamps, the differences between Boxer and Berdan primers, and what a crimped primer pocket looks like.

There are adjustment issues that can make this easier to occur, but loose shellplate bolt settings are a common culprit.

So basically with a 650, you need to be careful on the back stroke when seating the primer? And when you feel any extra resistance then stop and inspect the priming stage?

Any other things that would cause detonations?

Edited by spikers220

So basically with a 650, you need to be careful on the back stroke when seating the primer? And when you feel any extra resistance then stop and inspect the priming stage?

Any other things that would cause detonations?

All dillons except the 1050 I believe prime on the upstroke. So the 550 and 650 are identical in this regard. This is another reason I sort brass before loading. Different brands of brass take primers differently. Some are tighter than others, etc. I like knowing exactly how it is supposed to feel when I seat a primer in a case. When I feel something odd I slow way down or stop. I think you can crush a primer pretty good as long as you don't pound on it with the ram. I have totally mangled some primers and they did not detonate but I was not slapping the lever either.

With the 650 the area under the disc can get pretty gunked up and bind up something fierce. Forcing the issue then could also put you at risk of setting one off.