Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a .40 Witness limited elite

jacob0

I currently shoot a G35, but I am thinking of using the G35 for production only and buying a .40 limited elite for uspsa limited. My question is the following: Is there an easy upgrade path to get the limited elite upgraded to an open gun? Basically could I buy a gold team barrel and comp and drop them in? I don't mind if I have to shoot .40 in open. I would just like to have the experience of shooting open someday, even if I have to deal with the reduced capacity of the 40 cartridge.

P.S. Is it even possible to purchase a gold team barrel and comp?

thanks guys!

Jacob,

The trouble is Jacob, that the Gold Team makes a terrible Open gun; the comp is too small and there are too many ports in the barrel to make up for it. I have done exactly what you're talking about :

IMG_20130720_213431_804-1_zps5e438cab.jp

If you fall in love with the platform and nothing else will do, the best way to go Open with an Tanfo is something custom:

IMG_20140117_214937_279-1_zpswrbmhqig.jp

Step into the Chop Shop to see more: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180692&page=1

Do you reload? if you don't yet have a press, you will NOT be satisfied with an Open gun; trust me, I've been there :cheers:

Fortunately, yes I do load and look forward to someday working on 9 major.

Thanks for the link to the chop shop, that had been very useful for me to get introduced to the Tanfo world.

I think I will go for the limited elite in 40, and keep my eye out for a stock II or III for a possible replacement for the G35. I still however will need to try out a shadow before finalizing a production gun change.

I think I will go for the limited elite in 40, and keep my eye out for a stock II or III for a possible replacement for the G35. I still however will need to try out a shadow before finalizing a production gun change.

Just my opinion: I think the CZ makes a better Production gun than the Tanfo. I have lots of Tanfos, and lots of CZs the sweetest DA trigger I've owned was on a Shadow; then again, I worked over an SP01 for just over half the cost which also gets a lot of attention...

• 2 weeks later...

I did my first range session with a new .40 limited elite. I think i'm hooked! If I eventually go with a Stock II for production, I'll be 100% non-glock. I would really like to have multi-calibers for this gun. I would like to add at least 10mm, and maybe 9mm. I've heard that I can buy an upper assembly, but run the risk of having to get it fitted. I've also heard that the risk of buying just a 10mm barrel is that accuracy may suffer. Does this just mean that I need to get whatever conversion barrel fitted to my slide?

Does anyone happen to know what EAA is getting for limited top ends these days?

Kneeling!!! whats the problems with the gold team guns!? i read what you were saying about the ports in the barrel and comp ect but what actually suffers ? accuracy? FTF stovepipes the gun just doesnt function well ? pretty please with sugar on top can you elaborate lol

That is a good question. I was really hoping to get a gold team upper in 9mm to play with, as a limited upper in 9mm is not as useful.

I'm assuming that the frames are identical between the limited elite and gold team, so why not just pop one on and work up some 9mm major loads...

Jacob,

First off, congratulations on your Limited .40, that's a rare bird these days. The 'fitting' issue is a non issue, I have swapped uppers and lowers between dozens of guns of different makes (Tanfoglio and IMI) manufactured over a span of 30 years and the specifications are very similar. I have purchased a few new conversions and they've all dropped right in, new barrels need just a little fitting at the breech face, but it can be done easily with a hand file. Some frame/slide combinations are a little loose or a little tight, but nothing requiring any major modification; at most you might need to oil up a tight slide and rack it for an hour in front of the TV. A loose slide generally doesn't effect accuracy, but if it bugs you you can have the slide refinished and that will generally build up enough on the surface for it to fit tight again (I don't recommend squeezing the frame in a vise to tighten the frame/slide fit).

The supposed inaccuracy issue is with shooting .40 out of a pistol chambered for 10mm (although I have not observed any distinguishable difference when I tried it), but the 10mm slide is identical to the .40 slide, so if you wanted to shoot 10mm, you would only need to buy a 10mm Limited barrel although I don't know how easy those are to get (try contacting EAA).

I'm assuming that the frames are identical between the limited elite and gold team, so why not just pop one on and work up some 9mm major loads...

The frame of the Limited is a quarter inch longer than the Gold Team which is the same length as a Stock II.

9mm Major in a Gold Team is a violent, high pressure ordeal which is very tough on the barrel and slide; I have heard .38 Super Gold teams are better and last longer, but a custom upper is the way to go for Tanfo Open.