Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New design 1050 primer oriface

So I was helping someone fix their new 1050 (which they had set up poorly) when I found that the flimsy plastic primer oriface got mashed up and broken, as it often does.

They had several spare parts kits, so I went in one to get a replacement oriface. I found an item in there that I can only describe as "the way a primer oriface should be designed". It was solid plastic, somewhat cube shaped, with a semi-circle of fully attached plastic at the bottom, the gap in which a primer could squeeze through with some effort.

The only issue was that I couldn't figure out how to fit it on his 1050. We got a "normal" primer oriface from one of his other spare parts kits and used that.

Is Dillon in the process of redesigning the terrible flimsy primer oriface and replacing it with something more reasonable? Please say it's so.

The SD,550 and 1050 all use the same plastic orifice, the 650 uses a brass one.

I know some people that have used the 650 tube in a 1050 but I have not. Never lit off a primer in 28 years or so of loading on Dillons and don't want to mess up my luck.

The plastic magazine tip is flimsy plastic for a reason. If a primer hangs up in it, this tip will deform and allow a primer to be pulled through it, as opposed to crushing it and setting it off. Any change to this design is dangerous, and will void the warranty. If tips are crushing, find the cause,solve the problem. .

I wish I had taken a picture. It was about 1/4 inch thick on the top part, maybe half an inch on the other two dimensions. The top part had three straight side and one angled one with rounded edges.

On the top there was a cylindrical well, on the bottom a semi-circle of plastic that was just about the perfect size for a small primer, with the opening in the semi-circle just big enough for a primer to squeeze out of if stuck.

He had a GSI bullet feeder too, maybe it was a spare part for that, but it seemed to be the right size for small primers, too small for a 22 caliber bullet.