Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deep notch adjustable for Shadow?

spook

Getting tired of switching front sights whenever I go to a different bullet weight, I decided to check out the adjustable rear sight options for my Shadow.

Since I shoot IPSC Production, I cannot mill the slide.

I came across the CZ factory adjustable rear sight, which seems to be the same as this one:

http://www.zendl.cz/index.php/produscts/miridla/106-hledi-shadow

The problem I have with this one, is that the notch is too shallow compared to the factory fixed, which gives a sh*tty sight picture. It is only .095" deep, compared to the .125" of the factory fixed sight.

The guy who owns the shop in the link above can customize the notch dimensions, but the depth is limited to a max of .095".

This means I could ask him to make a narrower notch, to make the width to depth ratio better (.100 wide x .095 deep for instance) which would make the notch appear more square.

I would of course have to fit the gun with a much narrower front sight (about .090") and have to deal with a smaller sight picture.

I checked out the CZC HAJO. Same thing. Notch is .095" deep.

Are there any other adjustables that offer a deep notch and do not require milling?

check out the LPA options for the shadow. they do a cheapie one which does have a shallow notch, but there's another one with a deeper notch I believe. I have a couple of their sights at home. will try and measure them for you later.

perhaps the hajo notch could be made deeper? from memory it has a bit of meat there.

• 2 years later...

Hi, bumped this up to see if anything new hit the market since 2014.

Still shooting the factory sights, but would love to shoot a deep notch adjustable that requires no milling to the slide (to stay IPSC Production legal).

Anyone?

Hi!

The new height adjustable rear sight of the Shadow 2 migth be a viable option. It also fits in the dovetail of the "old" Shadow. I will measure the notch deepth later today.

Marian, thanks for the suggestion! :) I handled the Shadow 2 @ IWA 2016 and it is a very nice gun and a nice rear sight. However, I am specifically looking for a sight that will allow both windage and elevation.

I am getting frustrated that my backup gun is always a little off compared to my main gun ;)

Edited by spook

Okay, hmmm ... windage & elevation is a problem.

But actually drifting the new Shadow 2 rear sight is not such a big thing. And because of the two set screws you are able to get tight again very easily.

I just emailed Zendl and they confirmed that the notch is still only 2.5mm deep. Too bad. If they would make it with a slightly deeper notch (can be done with a higher sight blade), they would have a seller.

• 1 year later...