Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

my 40S&W minor load

atek3

Tonight I'll be loading pistol ammo for the first time. I'm going to be loading minor PF 40S&W. Based on advice from here and other places, I'm going to start with a 180 gr plated bullet from West Coast, over 3.1 gr clays, using a WSP primer. That load is basically straight from Lee's manual, they don't give a velocity though, do y'all think that will clear minor and cycle the gun out of a 4" XD40? I bought a non-captive guide rod, so If I want to respring the gun, it can be done, but currently all I have is the 18 lbs spring.

thanks, atek3

Tonight I'll be loading pistol ammo for the first time. I'm going to be loading minor PF 40S&W. Based on advice from here and other places, I'm going to start with a 180 gr plated bullet from West Coast, over 3.1 gr clays, using a WSP primer. That load is basically straight from Lee's manual, they don't give a velocity though, do y'all think that will clear minor and cycle the gun out of a 4" XD40? I bought a non-captive guide rod, so If I want to respring the gun, it can be done, but currently all I have is the 18 lbs spring.

thanks, atek3

Sounds good. Don't know if it will make minor.

Buy or borrow a chrono and go test it out. BE sells a Pact timer/chrono combo that is an excellent deal if you're in the market.

Good luck.

Only load 10 of that, bump up .02 grain, load 10, and so on up to around 3.8gr and see which one cycles the gun, and then which one locks back the slide on the last round. I can tell you that 3.8gr of Titegroup and a 180 bullet will run the stock spring on a Sig .40 and it is a wuss load for sure. Try a little bit at a time. Good luck, DougC

Guest Larry Cazes

I favor 4.6 grains of Winchester WST with a 180 grain over the clays. It burns just as clean and will be much more accurate and reliable than the clays load. I have loaded with both clays and WST and picked the WST. WST is also good for major loads with this bullet. Around 5.2 grains works for me. If these are the RNFP bullets, they are a good feeder and shouldnt give you any problems with either of these loads/powders. Have fun

Looks like you must be using the 1st Edition of the Lee manual. The second Edition contains the following: 3.0 Grns of straight Clays with a 180 Grain copper jacket (they specify the XTP JHP rather than a plated bullet) loaded to an OAL of 1.125" which should yeild: 741 FPS. To meet minor with a 180, you need: 694.4 or higher. If 3.0 will work and actually yeild that velocity with a plated bullet, then you are set. On the other hand, the Lee maunual lists a max of 3.5 grns so your original load idea of 3.2 should be a safe option.

Straight Clays is my favorite .45 powder and for .40 Minor? WHy not? I use N310 for 40 Minor, but that is a dangerous practice as there is NO data published for that powder & a 180 in .40. At least for MINOR clays, there is ample published data.

Ive loaded up some 135 pf loads for my 5" XD and I had to go with a 13lb spring. Its really just a little to sluggish for the 5" slide. On the other hand they will cycle my 4" XD just fine with the factory spring.

My load was 3.2gr VV310 and 180 Zero JHP

Adam