Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting First Classifier

Dkrad1935

OK - I have been trying to shoot a classifier for about two and a half months now. Had one cancelled due to weather and another cancelled for some reason Im not quite sure of. But Saturday am I should get to classify. I have been shooting IDPA for maybe 6 months or so. But I have had a nagging elbow problem so I am very anxious to see how I do.

Haha - my wife would say I am obsessed with this. But I really want to just benchmark myself. I shot a sanctioned match at the end of October and did average. But since then I have gotten a lot better - actually winning one of the local indoor matches (low shooter count but good shooters). So this will be my first legitimate benchmark opportunity.

A friend told me not to over classify.....but that just doesn't compute for me. I mean I understand all the reasons he says that, but I just need to know how good I am and I couldn't stand it to not try my best.

So - A bold prediction.....I think I will shoot middle expert. Of course we will see how the long shots and the head shots get me. I literally get know practice with those.....

I will report back and let you know...unless of course I do worse than expected:) Hahaha

I recommend knocking out some dry fire in preparation for the classifier. A lot can be figured out in dry fire, and a lot of time can be gained through transitions. Take a look at Ben Stoeger's classifier run on YouTube, and you'll have an idea of what speed and fluid motion can look like. Once you're on the line let your vision dictate the pace, you can only shoot as fast as you can see. Good luck, call your shots, and transition hard.

I shot horrible...I had a raw time in SSP of 99 seconds and ended up with a 130 i think...if my math is right which is SharpShooter. I felt really slow and lethargic.....but at least I finally got to shoot a classifier.

I also shot CDP - I just got my first 1911 and borrowed someones holster and mag pouches. Marksman.

So my ego is a bit deflated but that is a good place to start. And I have really good idea of things to work on!!!

I shot horrible...I had a raw time in SSP of 99 seconds and ended up with a 130 i think...if my math is right which is SharpShooter. I felt really slow and lethargic.....but at least I finally got to shoot a classifier.

I also shot CDP - I just got my first 1911 and borrowed someones holster and mag pouches. Marksman.

So my ego is a bit deflated but that is a good place to start. And I have really good idea of things to work on!!!

Good shooting!!! Didn't mean to sound crass about your first sanctioned match, I was just under the impression that the rules state you have to have a classification to shoot a sanctioned match. Neither here nor there, glad you had fun, hope you continue to play and improve.

I feel like I can shoot quite a bit faster - it just didnt happen today so I have some things to work on for sure.... But to be honest and I forgot to mention this...my 14 year old shot and I had more fun SO'ing him (this was also my first time SO'ing after getting certified back in December).

He hasnt even looked at a pistol in 2.5 months and he was awesome. He was down 9 in stage 1 and 16 in stage 2. Unfortunately stage 3 wasnt kind to him. But dude was shooting lights out for the first two stages....He is a Marksman and a good son:)

Oh - and if I ever run a classifier, I will make a big announcement to bring lots of magazines! For SSP I loaded 9, 12, 9, 12, 6, 12, 14, 14, 6 and blasted through the thing. I SO's a guy that was taking long time and ended up having to do a re-shoot and I had him load his mags the same way and he went through way faster. I know some think it is a little loose with rules to load over capacity but classifiers take way too long....

Dkrad1935 thanks for listing the way you loaded the mags.. will try that later next classifier.. I was so nervous today and the head cold killed me. It was fun today all in all.. Did you load a 3 round mag for one stage?

Edited by lstone

I would recommend not loading based on the specific shot requirements. If you need 6 and only load 6, what are you going to do when you have a FTF or jam. When you tap, rack, you won't have enough ammo to finish the stage. Always make sure you have what is required and extra for "Murphy".

yeah - you get a re-shoot in the clasifier so, it speeds things up until it slows things down!

Lester - didnt load any with three. Look at each of the strings in the classifier and walk them through in your head with the round counts I described and it will work out perfectly for the slide lock reloads. You just need an extra round or two in stage three cause you have to do the "loaded chamber reload"

SwatCop - you make a great point. I was in the Army for a bit and I get tactics as well as most.... but this is just a game for me. A way to get out and hang out with my kiddos and blow some shit up you know. So I am gonna game it as much as I can! If everyone else gets a re-shoot, ill take one if i think it will help me......

• 1 month later...