Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 SIG,356 TSW or .38super

Kimbertarget

Hello,

Im a newbie in regards to reloading. I recently got a case for free from a storage unit a buddy had filled with 9mm NATO(WSS) cartridges. I used the free ammo to compete in a steel challenge production division match and i WON. Now i dont know if there is an advantage but my pistol felt like it cycled better/smoother for some reason than thr usual walmart TULA 9mm ammo i usually run.

My friend then said if i like the 9mm NATO i should try his .357sig and i shot extremely well even out to 25-30yards which made me a believer in the flatter trajectory hype.

This being the 1st time i really noticed a difference in a cartridges and was curious about other cartridges/calibers that have either died off or not that widely used but claimed to have had advantages.

If im going to reload what would be the best to start out with and why.

Please leave your personal experience and not just something your quoting from online.

Real experience with these rounds please..thank you in advance

1) .357 sig

2) .357 TSW

3) .38 super

I would like to pick two calibers (MINOR and major) to compete with.

USPSA? Or strictly Steel Challenge? Major is USPSA (except in Open division) is gonna be a minimum of 40 caliber. 38 super has not "died out"... it is alive and quite well...38 super, 38TJ, 38SC, and others....then you have the metrics...9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25...

IMO, the only caliber on your list that has any merit is the 38super....the 357sig would be expensive to shoot, even reloading it, as the 356 TSW...

Currently, I load and shoot 9mm, 38super, 40 S&W, 45ACP, 38/357...

I used to have more than a dozen different calibers in my safe, but once I started shooting USPSA, I moved to simplify things: I shoot 9mm major and minor, rarely .40 as well. I used to have a 10mm which was cool, but expensive and totally useless in competition; I have been intrigued by the idea of a .357 SIG open gun, but if I'm going to get into a caliber where I have to care where my brass goes, I might as well get the capacity advantage of .38 super comp.

Keep it simple: 9x19.

• 2 weeks later...

1) .357 sig -Better performance than 38 Super but at the expense of case diameter and thus magazine capacity. Most 40S&W pistols can be converted by replacing barrel and recoil spring. Neck tension/bullet setback can be a problem, therefore it is recommended to use a powder that fills the case as much as possible like AA#9 and only use bullets with a flat meplat and short ogive. Once fired brass can be found for this caliber (for now).

2) .357 TSW -This cartridge is dead, the only time I've actually seen it was in a small box of random cartridges at a gun show being sold for collecting purposes. Seems only slightly different than 9x21mm IMI.

3) .38 super -Quite easy to load since it's straight walled, not picky about bullet or powder selection. Only drawbacks are that you can rarely get free/discounted brass and firearm selection is limited outside of 1911s.

Edited by zaphar

forget TSW.

38 super is very popular, but since you seem to like the odd stuff go for 38 super comp or TJ instead. they have some advantage (not ballistic) over regular 38super.

you can use those for major in an open gun.

357sig is somewhat popular in my country as an alternative to 40 S+W.. IPSC in fact allows you to shoot major with 357sig as the only exemption to the 'min 40 cal for major in standard and classic div' rule. I'm not sure if USPSA have that same exemption for sig? the reason is that 357 is basically a 40S+W case necked down to take a 9mm bullet. and infact many people shoot just that (40 cases necked down), though you are better off to buy proper 357 sig brass which has a slightly longer neck than the converted 40 brass. starline make 357sig brass and it's not too expensive.

once you get the brass sorted sig is not really any more expensive to load than 40 S+W or 9mm. it is a bit more hassle for a newbie though as you need to understand how bottlenecked cartridges work and how to size and load them properly vs regular straight walled cases like 38 super or 9mm etc.

if you really want a stupid case that no one really shoots you could go 9X23 win? it was made as a replacement for 38 super and has max pressures of 55,000PSI vs 36,000PSI for regular 38 super! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9723mm_Winchester

or 9X25 dillon? also made for IPSC/USPSA open. it's basically 357 sig, but starts with a 10mm cartridge instead of a 40cal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9725mm_Dillon