Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Silent Captured Spring OR JP Low Mass Buffer & Spring!

I have 2 factory JP rifles in 5.56 and .308 that came with the low mass buffer. I won a captured spring at the Pro Am and installed it in the 5.56 last summer and I can tell a difference in noise but not much else. The only thing you need to watch on the Low Mass buffer is the roll pin holding the nylon tip. It will back out and catch the spring, stopping the rifle. That is the only time my rifle has ever malfunctioned was when this occurred. You will be fine with the buffer, but I recommend the captured spring if you can get one.

I have both, except its not the JP buffer. I have their flatwound CS spring. Had a carbine buffer but it felt harsh. I put a spikes t2 buffer in and it was much better, very reliable. However I put a captured spring in and it feels tons better than the previous setup. The only thing I don't like is that charging it isn't quite as powerful, which I'm sure runs better but it doesn't inspire confidence in terms of reliability. Also I had my first double feed shortly after installing it. Probably coincidence but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a JP captured spring and went to a LMOS buffer/JP spring since it was less weight. What I found out is that I needed more gas to get the gun to run because the spring in the captured setup is weaker. I'm not sure how that will effect me since there is less weight moving back and forth but less gas going out the brake. I plan on running it in the next local match in March and seeing how different it is.