Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long or short barrel for accuracy?

mpolans

All other things being equal (same gun, caliber, ammo, fitting, distance of target, etc., etc.), with the *only* variable being the length of barrel, which is more accurate:

1. A 6" barrel?

2. A 3" barrel?

If it matters, I'm thinking particularly in regard to a .22lr with a target at 25 meters.

jessej

Without throwing up a red flag for Guy Neill to chime on this one....assuming the same materials, same tolerances and manufacturing techniques, the accuracy capabilities of each barrel should be identical...length has nothing to do with accuracy, save ease of sighting at distance..you are correct, length usually translates to more velocity.

Kind of like asking which candle burns longer, a short fat candle or a long skinny candle....answer is neither, they both burn shorter... :P;)

Just trying to find out if I'm missing something. BTW, I should have added assuming sight radius was equal too. In fact, assume there is no human element involved at all...imagine a robot firing a gun that is welded to a table.

One other factor that could come into play with the length issue is the amount of time the bullet has to be "spun up" and stabilized by the rifling. I'm guessing that depending on the structure of the bullet that the edge here would go to the longer barrel.

One other factor that could come into play with the length issue is the amount of time the bullet has to be "spun up" and stabilized by the rifling. I'm guessing that depending on the structure of the bullet that the edge here would go to the longer barrel.

Didn't Wil Schuemann put up on his website an experiment he did with a (rifle?) barrel that had almost all the rifling removed except at the muzzle, but was still as accurate as the same length of fully rifled barrel?

kevin,

I would be very interested in seeing the scheuman info you're talking about. Right now I am getting more involved in precision rifle. In lurking in a lot of their forums for the last little while I have never heard of something like that.

Craig

Gee, Craig, I shoulda kept my mouth shut.

The info I read was years ago, and, while I am fairly sure I read it on the Schuemann website, I can't find it now. Unfortunately, I haven't any way of giving you any solid references for what I said, so I gotta politely retract it.

Sorry,

Kevin