Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer feeding problems rl 550 b

Doctor

i am very new to this and am frustrated as the dickens because the primers do not always drop into the cup that is used to seat the primer. The round metal piece that has a spring underneath it stops before it gets under the primer magazine. It seems not to do this all the time. I am loading 7-08 rem with large rifle primers. Help is necesary. I cannot figure out how to fix this. So would someone please help. Posting is great but if you want to call me my cell number is 323 333 0788

thanks

Geoffrey P. Radoff, M.D,

Call Dillon and also email them...I have the 650 and when I had a similar issue I replaced one of the springs(Primer Indexing Arm
I think is the correct name). I know you have a 550 so maybe check or replace. I purchased mine about a year ago along with a spare parts kit, which I have used.

This is something Brian has posted, and it's always solved any priming issues I've had.
Particularly pay attention to the 4th and last bullet points. The operating rod must be straight in line with the primer magazine tube. The bracket that holds the rod needs to be touching or almost touching the press, the lower it is the farther out the end of the rod can push the primer slide.
I've had the rod bracket loosen up occasionally and get twisted on the primer magazine or pushed up slightly. Both things shorten the effective throw of the rod and the travle of the slide.
550 primer tune up
550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:
  • Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

• 4 weeks later...