Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Pistol Frames

Attila

I am considering having a pistol built and was wondering about the differences in quality of the different high capacity steel frames available. I havnt made up my mind if I want to go for a limited or open gun yet.

Caspian- good reputation. I have heard that the grip is a little smaller and easier to grip. mags to be available in the spring.

Para ord.- builds a gun I can start shooting limited with until more funds are available for custom work. Doesnt have the greatest reputation for quality control. availability of standard mags is excellent, big mags unknown.

Springfield - Says it will be a catalog item for 2005 (at least in 45, other calibers unknown) Past versions used para mags. better rep for qc than para.

entreprise-uses para mags (?) other wise I know nothing about them other than they have a used one in the local gun store.

If anyone has any input on these I would greatly appreciate it. How do the grips sizes compare, is there even a difference? Is there a preference by most people? Does anyone know anything about Entreprise?

Guest Larry Cazes

Why not go with an STI or SV modular frame? Since STI has discontinued their mag tubes for Paras, I would stay away from the Para Ord and any other that would force you to use Para mags. The older para mags were OK but over the last few years, the quality of the tubes has gone way down.

I would say Caspian, but I am partial. I own three and love them. BUT-- Mags are an issue. converted 38 super mags (thin ones) will only hold 16 rounds of 40. Craig mags will hold 19, but they are very rare and hard to come by. Caspian will be making 40 s-w mags by spring. I have 2 Para 14s and like them as well.factory mags have always proven well for me. Good luck in your choice

If you are sure that you would like a steel frame, I would go with the Caspian. For Limited, Caspian and Travis Tomasie have got 18rd+ magazines in the works for production soon. For Open, there are more than a few guys doing well with them. (TT, Steve A, Jamie Craig, etc) The mags have been a problem in the past, but Caspian should be producing mags again soon. I have also heard that there may be an aftermarket company tooling up for mags some time next year.

Attila,

Of the frames you mentioned I have only used the Caspian, but it gets my vote, I am very happy with it. I shoot it in open, but plan on building a Limited Caspian later this year once the mags are available. And if you're worried about the weight of the all steel frame don't forget that Caspian makes titanium hi-cap frames. Good luck!

Caspian would be the way to go.

As for Para, the steel is way too soft, around a 16rc. If you do decide to use a Para, it might be a good idea to use only the Para frame, and not any other Para parts. Also, have someone weld up and recut the frames rails on the Para, so it will stay tight. Might also have to have someone recut the pin holes in the Para frame too. It might be necessary to do this last step with another manufacture's hi-cap frame.

Attila,

Entreprise frame-They dont manufacture magazine. When I bought the frame the included magazine was mecgar and you can use Para mag with no problem.

I have been using steel frame for 6 years. The first steel frame I got was Praa but after few years of use it got cracked on the left side rail (above slide stop). Next I bought etnerpsire frame and this time the cracked was on the dust cover (< 10k rnds only), but the crack (about half inch) doen't get worst so I'm still using it and waiting for my new toy with SPS frame which is similar with S*I frame and I don't think it's available in US. If I were you I'll rather pick STI or SVI frame.

I'll never go back to steel frame again.

S*I will be my next frame.

Hey guys,

Did I read that post right that Caspian would be producing 40 mags in the spring?

I wonder if they will be a new design or just a upgrade so to speak of the old ones. If someone can get 20 rds in 40 for a Caspian, that would be the cat's _ss!

DaG

Dag,

Yes Caspian is currently woking on a design for the .40 mags. Plus I have heard there are possibly some other options that might materlize. But Caspian will have mags available soon. Unfortunately I do not know of a solid time frame but I am confident they will be available.

Alan