Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels

Cd662

Smith and Wesson has re-released the Model 66. Do any of you technical people know if the new production barrels would fit on older frames, or is it a proprietary thing that only fits the new production stuff?

Directly from the product overview:

• Full Top Strap and Barrel Serration

• Ball-Detent Lock-Up

• 2-Piece Barrel

Does the 2 piece barrel system guarantee properly aligned barrel/frame clocking? If so, that's a plus. It seems like all of the smiths I see in shops have overturned, underturned barrels.

You can tell from a side-view photo?

Yes you can if they use the same tension barrel that they did in the 66-7. The 66-7 had a barrel with a mushroom head on it that used a tool that went inside the barrel to tighten it against the shroud. If the new ones are 2 piece they changed the method of doing it. They may be using the Dan Wesson style with a strait tube and lock ring.

Here is a picture of 2 66's. The top one is a -5 with a regular barrel and the bottom is a -7 with a 2 piece tension barrel. Nothing wrong with the tension barrel as they are very accurate.

66Barrels.jpg

Edited by Gregg K

I know a guy that works at Smith and he's trying to find an answer for me. Obviously if I put fresh barrels on my gats, the increase in accuracy will really up my game.

...but for reals, who knows how long the run will be? It would be neat to have replacement barrels if they fit. I could go shoot 110 grain 357 magnums, split a forcing cone, post about it on the Smith-Wesson forums, make people cry, and then be tack-driving Alphas a few days later.

Similarly with K-frame barrels.

-5 one piece and -6 two piece.

The revision changes are different for each model. My model 66's are K frames but the main revision changes are..

66-5 started the frame mounted firing pin

66-6 started the internal lawyer lock, still had a standard barrel

66-7 started the two piece barrel