Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS 308 dies...

fishpinoy27

I just bought a almost bnew Remy 700P LTR in 308 (20 rounds down the tube), I have an RCBS small base FL sizing die. After sizing some LC military brass, it would still not seat/headspace in my gun. I have a set of Forster bushing bump and neck sizing die and ultra seating die on back order... My question is, How come after full sizing thru my RCBS die and still won't seat in my gun... aren't the RCBS die also bump the shoulder?

Just started reloading .308 myself, I bought some of the LC once fired brass from Midway....I have the redding FL and neck sizing dies.....loaded up 50 rounds and only 15 would chamber. Someone told me the brass was shot out of a machine gun and it jacks up the neck sizing....all I know is I have 200 pcs of useless brass........Since I have plently of small rifle primers I bit the bullet and bought 500 pces of new Lapua Palma .308 brass, which takes small rifle primers....400 rnds down the pipe and more than happy with the peformance of the gun and ammo. I have 3 reloadings on some of the brass, same length as new. I only neck size and may FL size after 6-7 loadings. Savage FCP-SR .308 and loading 167 gr Scenars/168 gr SMK with 45 gr of RL15 or 44 gr of Varget......dime size groups at 100 yds solid out to 725 longest distance available at our range.

Probably not any help but I FL sized, neck sized, FL sized again and never got the LC brass to work...........I think it is the brass and not the dies......fortunately I'm only out $70 on the brass and i still may contact Midway about it...

The military is not using significant quantities of 7.62x51 in anything but machine-guns, and such are really hard on brass. If a trip through a small base size die is not sizing a case enough for your bolt to close freely, I would suspect you do not have the size die screwed in enough. Lube one of those oversize cases, put it in the shell holder and run it up into your die, then put a flash light on one side of the die/shellholder junction, and look at it from the other side. You may well see light between them. Seriously abused brass takes a lot of force to get back in spec, and I noticed a good bit of flex in my Rockchucker when processing such brass.

Ok, first lube the crap out of it. Then run each piece through the die TWICE. Pause each time at the top of the stroke for a moment to let the brass move in the die. You will only have to do this the first time you size it. Use a correct tool to measure the headspace and set the die accordingly. March on!

Use a full length sizer! Also, try a different shell holder. Sometimes shell holders differ in their specs. and the case is not fully getting into the die. I process thousands of pieces of 308 LC. What press are you using? Be sure it is "Camming over" to get the max amount of push on the case. You cannot baby LC brass on its first sizing. You have to slap it around and make it yours. After that, you can take it to dinner.

Edited by Doc Hunter

Is the press rolling over on the base of the die?

what do you mean by this? if you are asking me if the top of the shell holder is touching the die at full stroke down...Yes, i did set the die touching the shell holder with a brass.

NO! Is the die set past that? Ok, do this. Loosen the die so it will go up and down. Raise the RAM and adjust the die down until it touches the shell holder. THEN, lower the ram slightly and lower the die. When you raise the ram it should be pushing HARD on the bottom of the die, and then it will "roll over" - go to its full length stroke. This will take any spring out of the press. The RAM should not just be touching the shell holder for this operation. The RAM must be pushing hard on the bottom of the die, then rolling over to full stroke. You will understand after you play with it some. You might even try and find a you tube video on how to do it. Try this - it should solve the problem.

NO! Is the die set past that? Ok, do this. Loosen the die so it will go up and down. Raise the RAM and adjust the die down until it touches the shell holder. THEN, lower the ram slightly and lower the die. When you raise the ram it should be pushing HARD on the bottom of the die, and then it will "roll over" - go to its full length stroke. This will take any spring out of the press. The RAM should not just be touching the shell holder for this operation. The RAM must be pushing hard on the bottom of the die, then rolling over to full stroke. You will understand after you play with it some. You might even try and find a you tube video on how to do it. Try this - it should solve the problem.

ok, ill try this..

I have hornady dies bump the shoulder back more than most other dies. Shoulder bump is different than small base and possible different. Make sure you are getting lube I. The necks and or using a carbide button as you can stretch the beleass back out. I'm working through 1k of mg fired .308 and its a bear.

• 9 months later...

Are you using a case gauge to evaluate your sized brass ? I shoot LC and lots of others out of my M60, 1919, M1A, and 700 LTR. I gauge my brass, and the 550 is set up to size appropriately. no issues .

You may need to set the RCBS die to a little over-cam to get proper headspace.

Also, if its taking a lot of force to get the expander ball back through the neck, you may be stretching headspace.

I size my LC 308 in 2 stages. First pass is Redding Small Base with "sloppy" neck bushing to ease the passage of the expander ball (dented necks from semi-autos).

Second pass is Forster shoulder bump with correct bushing, no expander. You'll be happy with the Forster shoulder bump!

Also recommend the RCBS Precision Mic. Great tool to measure headspace from fired brass out of your rifle and set your press acoordingly.

I have Hornady .308 die that has smaller dimensions than all my other .308 dies, its essentially a SB die even though its not supposed to be. Shoulder bump is different than small base sizing, you bump the shoulder to make the brass fit back in the gun. You should not have to use a SB die is most rifles. Make sure you are getting lube Inside of the necks as well as all over the case and or using a carbide button as you can stretch the brass back out. I'm worked through 1k of mg fired .308 and it was a bear on a 550 with that Hornady "small" die. Years ago we did not have all these options with dies; it was FL, SB or NS. I'm not so sure that some of these options aren't overwhelming us with choices that we don't "need" I loaded 10'sof 1000's of rounds of ammo before I got a die with bushings in it and the improvements in accuracy on paper has been slim.