Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bench done, 550 finally set up

Think I'm about finished. Dies are pretty much set except for powder charge. Did not seat any primers so need to make sure that's right but overall set up went smooth. Took me a while to get the right bell and seat depth. My AOL is 1.155 with a 147RN Xtreme plated. The 10 or so I loaded without primer/powder smoothly goes in the Dillon case gauge. What am I forgetting?

Just noticed something. I have a small round groove on the very tip on the bullet caused by the little hole up at the top inside the seating die. Problem?

post-50452-0-79256200-1389148515_thumb.j

Edited by XDMer

You will be wanting the roller handle before to long. It is a great relief com paired to the rould ball.

That's the one investment I need to make for the 550b. The ball is driving me nuts. I actually had it start to come unscrewed to the point where it came of of the lever one time. Whacked the heck out of my hand as it slipped off. Definitely ordering a roller handle soon.

Your OAL (1.155") works with your gauge, but have you dropped any

into your chamber to make sure they work in YOUR gun? :cheers:

Not yet but I will before I load the primer tube and powder hopper. Guess I wanted some validation from you guys before I proceeded.

Your OAL (1.155") works with your gauge, but have you dropped any

into your chamber to make sure they work in YOUR gun? :cheers:

Not yet but I will before I load the primer tube and powder hopper. Guess I wanted some validation from you guys before I proceeded.

OK, just did and they cycle through my G19 just fine.

I assume you did, but run some of those rounds though your mags just to make sure they are not too long? Some handguns require shooter OAL because of the mags. I don't use a Glock, but I think I have heard that they usually run their OAL at about 1.13 because of this. Like I stated, I don't use a Glock so I could be wrong on the OAL...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Edited by szhttm

I assume you did, but run some of those rounds though your mags just to make sure they are not too long? Some handguns require shooter OAL because of the mags. I don't use a Glock, but I think I have heard that they usually run their OAL at about 1.13 because of this. Like I stated, I don't use a Glock so I could be wrong on the OAL...

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Thanks. I guess the reason I seated at 1.15" was all the Winchester factory ammo I have been using was 1.16 and worked fine in my Glock and xdm.

Nice setup. Mine also looked that clean when I first completed my bench. As far as the ball handle, I bought my first 550b in 1989 and used for 15 years and it never bothered me. Most of the reloading was for pistol and only one rifle caliber and the volumes were like at each sitting would be 100 rounds. It was OK until I started reloading for several machine guns and added a couple more rifle calibers. Then the ball got old. I have hence upgraded to a 650, but the first accessory I bought for it was the roller handle. I know for a fact if you need to do 2000 pistol rounds at a sitting, or Size/decap/trim 3000 rifle rounds, the ball doesn't cut it.

The little hole you are seeing is from using the wrong side of the actual seater inside the die. Pull the clip off the top of the die, remove the insert, remove the black piece of metal that holds the actual seater in please, then flip the hardened steel seater. It sounds complicated, but its really easy.

One side of the seater is for flat point, the other side is for round nose.

Edited by leewongfei

make sure they are not too long?

I seated at 1.15" all the factory ammo I use is 1.16 and works fine in my Glock and xdm.

Each bullet type has to be seated to a different OAL for Your gun & mags.

If you're

reloading the exact same bullet as your factory ammo, that's fine, but if you change

the bullet, you should determine optimum OAL for that bullet for your guns.

Don't

assume that you can run all bullets at 1.15" - some will get stuck in your chamber

at that length, depending on the specific bullet you're using. :cheers:

The little hole you are seeing is from using the wrong side of the actual seater inside the die. Pull the clip off the top of the die, remove the insert, remove the black metal hold, then flip the hardened steel seater. It sounds complicated, but its really easy.

Thanks, actually figured that out sorta by mistake. Pulled the top clip and the die fell out the bottom. Scared the crap out of me thinking I wouldn't know how to put it back together. Lost the little black pin that fits through the die. Found it later lying on the shell plate. That's when I noticed the die is reversible for different bullet profiles.

make sure they are not too long?

I seated at 1.15" all the factory ammo I use is 1.16 and works fine in my Glock and xdm.

Each bullet type has to be seated to a different OAL for Your gun & mags.

If you're

reloading the exact same bullet as your factory ammo, that's fine, but if you change

the bullet, you should determine optimum OAL for that bullet for your guns.

Don't

assume that you can run all bullets at 1.15" - some will get stuck in your chamber

at that length, depending on the specific bullet you're using. :cheers:

Got it. Actually got the 1.16 from Accurate Arms reloading data suggested for Rainier plated RN 147, same bullet I assume as the Xtreme I am using. Just coincidence that the Winchesters were also 1.16. Lyman shows shorter 147gr oal but no data for AA#7 so I backed off a little for starters. Edited by XDMer

I've loaded some 1.125 all the way to 1.145 and my glock 34 seems to like the 1.145 with 124jhp better than the short OAL. I'm loading with 4gr or TG . I haven't tried 1.15 but it's the next length I want to try.

Looks nice, good job on the set up. I need to add a light above mine, I see yours is to the side, does that clip on light provide enough lighting?

Not really. Todays lights and especially the bulbs really suck. I'm lokking for better lighting.

I am running my 9mm at 1.155 to function in my 9mm 1911, and they also run fine in my XDms at that length. I have been running the factory ball on my 550b for over a couple of decades (really) and it works fine for me. I never run more than 2-300 rounds at a sitting though before I get up to do something else. I have gotten the little mark on the nd of the loaded rounds even if the "correct" bullet seater is installed. That is until the little hole packs up with crap. And yes, your bench is too damn clean.

I am running my 9mm at 1.155 to function in my 9mm 1911, and they also run fine in my XDms at that length. I have been running the factory ball on my 550b for over a couple of decades (really) and it works fine for me. I never run more than 2-300 rounds at a sitting though before I get up to do something else. I have gotten the little mark on the nd of the loaded rounds even if the "correct" bullet seater is installed. That is until the little hole packs up with crap. And yes, your bench is too damn clean.

I am a bit of a neat freak but sure the bench won't stay that clean for long.

Shot first reloads with Chrono today and all went well with 1.15" OAL, 6.2gr AA#7. Avg about 920 fps which gives aboout 135 PF. Got nice groups and good feel with the Glock 19. Actually shot softer than factory White Box 115gr.