Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Patient Zero

JerryShoots

Just because it came to mind to ask what was the "patient zero" of open guns? I've heard that the first red dot to go on an open gun was on Barnhardt's gun. Is this true? Does anyone know first hand?

Also because it's of interest to me I'll post in the gallery asking for photos of old open guns say pre 1999.

Link here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187621

Any factual data on the history of open would be much appreciated as well.

Thank You!

Plaxco in the early eighties might have one of the first true comps

The early aimpoints were huge and the tube was small, almost no field of view

Late 80's early 90's the aimpoint 5000? And the tasco pdp2

We're the 1st useable reddots

• 2 weeks later...

There was one that was featured on the cover of Front Sight around 1990 where a guy had mounted a small lens on his slide and had rigged the batter and electronics to fit under a grip panel. I know some of us were running Tasco PDP2s (PDP3s with their wider field of view were also starting to come in) on a NPC grip mount on single stacks with a Wilson LE comp kit back around 1990-1991. The NPCs were made of crappy aluminum and would tend to break and send scopes flying.

My first red dot was a Tasco on the grip mount. I had it on an open gun that Austin Behlert built for pin shooting, I had the red dot mount changed a few years ago as I thought about using this gun for open AP but never got around to trying it out.